•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rbuoncri

rbuoncri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:07 PM

Autoguiding problem
Using an Asiair Pro, ZWO 30F4 mini scope, ZWO ASI 120 mm camera, and Skywatcher EQM-35 mount attached directly to the Asiair with a shoestring EQMOD cable.  Polar Allignment, Plate solve, slewing of scope all work fine - both RA and Dec.  When autoguiding, the RA tracks perfectly however the DEC will not track. 
Tracing logs show expected RA correction but no DEC correction at all.    Any suggestions on where to start?

#2 bry73

bry73

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:37 PM

I am pretty new to this all also, I think you may find more help on the Auto Guiding question in the https://www.cloudyni...-astronomy-eaa/ .

I am still looking into what to get and how to set-up for Guiding also.

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:36 PM

How was calibration? If the mount can't move in DEC, it's unlikely that calibration could succeed. 

You also say the mount shows no DEC correction at all. Do you mean that there was no ATTEMPT to correct in DEC? It's hard to imagine, but perhaps you nailed polar alignment so well that no correction is needed (and seeing must've been good too). Or do you mean that the software tried to correct but the mount did not move?

If the latter, let's start from basics--can you move the mount in DEC using the hand control? How about using software (don't know what the ASIAir Pro allows?)

• Michael Covington and rbuoncri like this

#4 rbuoncri

rbuoncri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Thank you, Michael for your response.  Calibration goes smoothly.  The mount moves in  DEC (& RA) from the Asiair App during PA and Plate Solving.  The "GoTo" feature works flawlessly from the App.  During autoguiding, the Asiair software sends attempts to move the mount.  Mount only responds in RA.  I looked for the simple stuff such as obstructions/wires/etc which would impede movement. 

I've attached my autoguide log. (Excel format) Note the ever-increasing values under DecGuidedDistance column.  Software realizes mount is out of alignment.  I can post screen shots from my iPad showing ever diverging DEC and RA lines until it eventually DEC goes off the screen but the data says the same.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics