•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Full Moon Nimbus 2000 - ASI1600mm - MN190 - 5nm Ha

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

Well not really...my apologies to Harry Potter. This image is a portion of the Western Veil (aka the Witch's Broom) Supernova remnant in Cygnus. 

It's way to big to fit in my MN190 field of view so this was all the field coverage I could get after cropping out the weird edge glow. 

The Moon was nearly Full so I thought it a perfect time to use the Chroma 31mm Ha filter. I have the 5nm version. I thought the subs looked rahter noisy for 5 minute exposures. It turns out I was mistakenly running at gain 76 on the camera which is not what I want for Ha work. My mean ADU readings were just over 440 which is way lower than I like. Anyway, I let it go on autopilot and plowed to capture 56 subs x 5 minutes each @ f5.3 using my resurrected 190mm Mak-Newt. 

I had a failure in my flat correction. And to pile it on, since I was at the wrong gain, I had no matching darks in my dark frame library crazy.gif  ( I may make some later). But just for grins, I decided to process the data anyway and was surprised and happy to see the details emerge. 

Anyway, here it is with noise, no darks, flubbed flats and all...a moderate cropped image is first and then a nearly full size center crop is second.

I am amazed at how much nebulosity is flowing through this area when you zoom in there! I am really looking forward to a proper do-over!

Oh...I love the micro-lensing artifact glowing around that bright starlol.gif !

cs...John

Attached Thumbnails

• Veil_76gain_1600.jpg

• Jim Waters, palaback, Mike G. and 1 other like this

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

center region crop...

Attached Thumbnails

• Veil_76gain_crop.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 03 August 2020 - 02:55 PM.

• Jim Waters, Mike G. and md11spotter98 like this

#3 Nico SA

Nico SA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

Very nice

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics