•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX65 8"—Bob's knobs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

I just upgraded from a Celestron 6SE to the Meade (yay cool.gif ).  I had the knobs on my 6SE, and was just wondering if I should get a set for my LX, too?  I thought I read somewhere that the collimation screws are better on the Meade, but they still need an Allen wrench, so maybe the Bob's are best?

#2 Pendulum

Pendulum

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Riverside, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

I just purchased a set of Bob's Knobs for my LX200. The main issue for me, is that I just don't like having anything sharp near the corrector plate. I'd much rather deal with cleaning a fingerprint than a scratch. 

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:45 PM

Personally  I don't see the need to recolimate the OTA of my SCTs, simply checking them once or twice a year indicates they stay pretty spot on.  The swap out to Bob Knobs can induce more 'need' to collimate than necessary because if installed improperly the secondary can slip adjustment.  Be very careful that the knobs are installed correctly and do not come in contact with the front cover when in storage.  As far as safety in accessing the bolt ends a simple cardboard collar can be slipped over the secondary housing and it only needs to be about 1" taller than the side of the housing to prevent 'slippage'.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics