•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starter eyepieces for 12" dob

beginner dob eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 JKruger13

JKruger13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Minnesota, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:03 AM

Hm, why is there no 30mm ethos?

#27 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

Many people can't afford a 13mm ethos (including me ) ... So think what would be the price to create one and at what $$ it would go at the market 🤑🤑🤑🤑. Also 30 mm 100° requires a 3 inch focuser which is pretty rare except observatories

#28 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Messenger

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

My honest advice is: don't buy anything else yet. When your scope finally arrives, use it the eyepieces that come with it for a while to get a feel for the equipment. After that you'll be much better prepared to make decisions.

Here are some things you may find. 

A 25mm plössl is a very nice eyepiece. Good quality image and comfortable eye relief. The 60X magnification will be useful, too. You may not feel an immediate need to upgrade. See what you think.

A 10mm plössl is less satisfactory. Good quality image but very uncomfortable eye relief. The 150X magnification will be appropriate for planets when the seeing is good, but perhaps not quite so useful for all-around viewing. See what you think.

The long wait for a scope can drive anyone nuts! (I speak from experience.) Best not to let our impatience drive us to buy more too soon.

#29 JKruger13

JKruger13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Minnesota, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Not a bad idea Laz. I figured I might want something more than two magnifications to choose from so I thought the zoom lens would help me decide what I want and then if I don't want it anymore then it's only one piece to sell versus several pieces.

I like to think about what I might buy.

#30 turboscrew

turboscrew

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Maybe this could be of help. It's for LibreOffice, but just might work with Excel too.

https://www.dropbox....cu_sel.ods?dl=0

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dob, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics