•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6SE slippage?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

Not sure what the proper term is, but I noticed that if I lightly push on the OTA when mounted, it will move on the vertical axis.  I know it's only meant to move under power, so I normally don't do this.  Under normal observing, it's no issue, but I'm thinking of attaching my DSLR to it (which is a little over two lbs).  I'm worried it might be too heavy and cause the scope to move on it's own (thereby ruining my sky alignment).  Is this normal, and is there any way to tighten things up so it won't move when pressed on?

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

It can be tightened. I don't remember exactly but it is fairly straightforward. You take off the OTA and I think also the bezel and then it becomes obvious what needs to be tightened. If I remember correctly you will need a socket wrench.

I used a binocular setup and two big eyepieces on a 5SE and that happened. It is just too much weight.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#3 dhmiller

dhmiller

Vostok 1

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

I was planning to get a Baader Binoviewer and 2 24mm Pans.. Do you think that would be too much weight for a 6SE?

It can be tightened. I don't remember exactly but it is fairly straightforward. You take off the OTA and I think also the bezel and then it becomes obvious what needs to be tightened. If I remember correctly you will need a socket wrench.

I used a binocular setup and two big eyepieces on a 5SE and that happened. It is just too much weight.

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:29 PM

With the SLT and NexStar 4SE/5SE, you would tighten the bolt exposed when the OTA is removed.  

BUT - for the NexStar 6SE/8SE, the bolt is under the hook that the hand control rests on in the fork arm.  Just be careful you do not lose the screws for the hook down into the fork arm.  If you do, you MUST retrieve them or you risk damage to the azimuth gearing. 

Once you have the hook off, you will see a large nut as shown in the second picture on this page at my website:

https://www.nexstars...N58Altitude.htm

Make a mark on the nut and on the fork arm frame showing the current orientation.  Then tighten just a tiny bit at a time until pressure on the front of the OTA seems reasonable before slipping.

A binoviewer and 24mm Pans would be manageable - just move the OTA forward to help with the balance.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• WarmWeatherGuy and Terrybythe sea like this

#5 PolyWogg

PolyWogg

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:12 PM

The SEs are designed to be able to be moved in hte vertical axis by hand...for example, you can insert it vertically, and then lower it by hand. It wont' do it horizontally however. You CAN tighten it, but it isn't a "bug" or slipping, it's designed to do that.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#6 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:22 PM

With the SLT and NexStar 4SE/5SE, you would tighten the bolt exposed when the OTA is removed.  

BUT - for the NexStar 6SE/8SE, the bolt is under the hook that the hand control rests on in the fork arm.  Just be careful you do not lose the screws for the hook down into the fork arm.  If you do, you MUST retrieve them or you risk damage to the azimuth gearing. 

Once you have the hook off, you will see a large nut as shown in the second picture on this page at my website:

https://www.nexstars...N58Altitude.htm

Make a mark on the nut and on the fork arm frame showing the current orientation.  Then tighten just a tiny bit at a time until pressure on the front of the OTA seems reasonable before slipping.

A binoviewer and 24mm Pans would be manageable - just move the OTA forward to help with the balance.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Thanks! I had the gear cover off earlier and didn't see anything to tighten.  Your post explains why!  I will give that a shot.  It's not bad as is, but I feel like it should take more pressure to move it manually.  At some point, I want to try putting my D850 on there, and it's a bit hefty.

#7 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:08 PM

My 8SE was a little too loose for me as well.  It didn't slip when changing eyepieces or anything but a fairly light push on the front of the OTA would move it.  Do not tighten it much - you will want it slip when you push down on the front.  If you do tighten it too much it will stress the bearings and motor.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#8 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:19 PM

Cool.  I tightened it just a bit, and it seems better now =)

#9 lkannard

lkannard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:08 PM

My advice is to purchase Michael’s book if you’re going to keep your SE for at least a year. Great info in the book, especially his collimation technique.
  • Michael_Swanson and ET_PhoneHome like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics