•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Demystifying offset: just what does it do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

Over time, both on this forum and in other places, questions about camera offset seem to come up regularly from both newbies and seasoned folks, particularly ones jumping from CCD to CMOS. "What's the offset I should use?" "What's the best offset?" "What does it even mean?"

One can hunt around and piece together a picture of what it means from various places and try to reconcile sometimes conflicting information, but I have not yet found a satisfactory source that puts it all together and "teaches one to fish" in an accessible manner. I wrote up a blog entry this morning that explains it in, I hope, illustrative and practical terms. It doesn't delve deep into the nuts and bolts of the hows and whys at the sensor circuitry level; that's a topic for another day. Of course I invite any feedback and suggestions.

Offset: the misunderstood companion to gain

• PeteD, dswtan, Jim Waters and 9 others like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:52 PM

dghent - thanks for posting this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics