•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

~$15 Dew Heater Controller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

I've never understood why dew heater controllers were so expensive given they're relatively simple devices that don't require any fancy hardware. Yes, some have a lot of bells and whistles like having temperature probes and measuring relative humidity and such but even a basic simple unit is often well over a 100 bucks. This is my latest mini-project that I made out of spare parts and an enclosure I made with my 3D printer. Its a simple 2-channel unit that I made for my imaging setup, one heater for my photo-scope, one heater for my guide scope.

_IGP0942.JPG

The heart of the controller are some off the shelf PWM motor drivers I got on amazon for ~$8, you can find them here: https://www.amazon.c...96499095&sr=8-5

They're good for about 2A at 12V which is more than enough to drive a heater which is usually around 250-1000mA. They also include LED's which get brighter the more you crank them up. The power supply is some AC to 12VDC adapter I pulled out of my electronics bin, I think it came with an old cable modem. 

_IGP0944.JPG

So there you have it a simple, cheap, and effective dew heater controller that anyone can make. 

• mtc, John Miele, scott4comp and 6 others like this

#2 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Vostok 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

Consider a 1-2 amp inline fuse, too.  Friends have had heater and wiring shorts.

#3 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

Consider a 1-2 amp inline fuse, too.  Friends have had heater and wiring shorts.

No need, its built into the ASIC, "The controller is safe with a self-recovery fuse 2A." waytogo.gif

Of course its always a good idea to play it safe and add one in there anyway but if I burn one of these up its only $4 to replace it. 

#4 skywolf856

skywolf856

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

Nice!

I did the 3-Channel version by Gary Honis.

http://dslrmodificat...Controller.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics