•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to point to planet accurately, remotely?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:48 PM

I have an SCT925, ASI1600MM, ASI224MC, 50mm Guide Scope, CEM60, and Rigel Focuser.

For my deep sky imaging (mostly w/ Hyperstar) I find my targets with Plate Solving, focus w/ the Rigel, shoot w/ the ASI1600 and guide using the guidescope and ASI224.  I can do the whole setup remotely.

For planetary imaging I use my ASI224MC w/ a 2x Barlow (4700mm FL) and 3x Barlow (7050mm FL).

Last time I did this, I would use a combination of the finder scope (not the guide scope) and jacking up the gain/exposure to find the planet and put it on the ASI224 sensor. Either that or I'd disengage the Rigel focuser and swap back and forth from the ASI1600 w/ no Barlow and the 224MC+Barlow. Neither of these options is ideal because I have to be present and end up getting eaten alive by bugs.

Once I find the planet, Firecapture+ASCOM guiding keeps locked on the frame.

Is there a better way to use the above equipment remotely to get accurate points to the planets?

I'm considering swapping my deep sky setup and putting the ASI1600 on the guide scope, ensuring it's dead center accurate, and using that image (sync'd w/ an initial plate solve) to center the planet and then changing to the ASI224. I haven't give this an attempt yet (cloudy the last several nights) but I'm wondering if there's a solution I haven't considered yet. Sharpcap's spiral search doesn't seem to do anything for me though I'm not sure why not.

Edited by PilotAstronomy, 03 August 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#2 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:57 PM

i run 2 copies of sharpcap. one for imaging and one for my guidescope. i use the guidesope to drive my target right into view. works really well even at f20

#3 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:04 PM

Okay, sounds like my idea is going to work. Just feels silly putting the ASI1600 on the guidescope.

Edited by PilotAstronomy, 03 August 2020 - 10:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics