•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"What should I get" thread # 3,472,569 - big BT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smasraum

smasraum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:09 PM

I lived in the light polluted 'burbs with an 8" Dob.  We sold the house and moved to an apt in town, and I sold the scope (not enough space).  I bought Pentax SP 20x60 WP, and have used them here and there.  They are decent for what they are, but I do often find myself wanting a little more magnification.

I've got a birthday coming up, and have wondered about some large astro-binoculars.  At first I was wondering about some 25x100, but then I realized that what I would probably get more use out of would be something with interchangeable EP.

I live pretty much in the middle of the 4th largest city in the US.  My view east is of the skyline, but that's also my clearest view and where I do most of my observing.  I also have a view North. 

Because of the light pollution, I'll probably be mostly looking at bright objects, the moon, planets, stars, double stars, star clusters.  I was able to see Neowise with my 20x60s, and I can see Andromeda as well.

What do you think would be better for me, something like an Orion BT100, or maybe an Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED?

I like the idea of the Oberwerks.  I think the CA-free image would be nice, especially when viewing things like the moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Venus.  I also think that slightly the smaller lighter setup would be nice.  And I assume the Oberwerk is probably a higher quality bit of kit with, apparently, great customer service.

Thoughts?

And I would assume that if I can get to a nice dark location, that both would give me great views.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:31 AM

I think your conclusion is right - they are both good options.

#3 smasraum

smasraum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

Thanks

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:42 AM

I'd agree that an ED option would be best for your application of viewing brighter objects.  I've found that higher mag long distance terrestrial "spotting" can also be enjoyable, with ED binos showing a more faithful rendering.

Rich

• Mr. Bill likes this

#5 smasraum

smasraum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, Rich. 

#6 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:44 AM

Get the Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED. Looking through both APO/ED glass and an achromat at the planet Saturn made me realize the difference of the view. 

#7 jprideaux

jprideaux

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:11 AM

Orion also sells an ED version for a much higher cost that is probably comparable to the ED versions sold by Oberwerk or APM. It is probably worth it to spring for the better glass unless you are only looking at Andromeda. For things like the moon, you will see less false color with the better glass. As for size, it is the age old question of balancing convenience with how good you can see things. (And how wide or magnified you want to go).

#8 smasraum

smasraum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:55 AM

Get the Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED. Looking through both APO/ED glass and an achromat at the planet Saturn made me realize the difference of the view. 

That's what I've been thinking.  I've got a couple of APO telephoto lenses for my camera, and you can tell the difference in photographs between those and lenses that don't.

Orion also sells an ED version for a much higher cost that is probably comparable to the ED versions sold by Oberwerk or APM. It is probably worth it to spring for the better glass unless you are only looking at Andromeda. For things like the moon, you will see less false color with the better glass. As for size, it is the age old question of balancing convenience with how good you can see things. (And how wide or magnified you want to go).

You know, I expected Orion to have something competitive, but I haven't been able to find it.  They have BT-82 45deg and BT-100 that are $250 less expensive than the Oberwerks, but I haven't found anything that says that they are ED/APO which seems crazy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics