•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3rd Party repair and service shops for refractors?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neinball

Neinball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:13 PM

I'm thinking about getting either the TS Optics 107 f6.5 or the 130 f7 refractor, I'm looking at them over the ES scopes because they are cheaper, use comparable FPL-53 glass, are half a stop faster, and have better focusers. However being in the States means that shipping one back to Europe for cleaning or service is going to be a bigger hassle and take a lot longer than getting an ES scope serviced. I was wondering if anyone knows of any place state side that would service one of these if it ever needed it? 

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:12 AM

I used Dr Clay S for a repair on a refractor I had , not sure if he is still in business 

Contact him and let us know

http://arksky.org/as...so/supercharge 

#3 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

I'm thinking about getting either the TS Optics 107 f6.5 or the 130 f7 refractor, I'm looking at them over the ES scopes because they are cheaper, use comparable FPL-53 glass, are half a stop faster, and have better focusers. However being in the States means that shipping one back to Europe for cleaning or service is going to be a bigger hassle and take a lot longer than getting an ES scope serviced. I was wondering if anyone knows of any place state side that would service one of these if it ever needed it? 

These are probably not that hard to service.  And, there is not a lot that can go wrong in the near term with reasonable care.  What, specifically, do you mean by "serviced"?  Collimation or some other lens adjustment for tilt or wedge issues?  Do you know if the cell is collimatable?  Tilt and wedge issues are much harder to diagnose and deal with.  The focuser, I am sure can be adjusted to your liking.

Generally, if you buy one of these and you thoroughly check it out within the first couple of days of receiving it, the scope will be fine for a lifetime with reasonable care.

#4 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

shipping something as small as a lens cell overseas is not that bad these days either - I recently discovered you can buy a USPS "Stamps.com" subscription and get access to cheaper shipping rates.

#5 Neinball

Neinball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:27 PM

These are probably not that hard to service. And, there is not a lot that can go wrong in the near term with reasonable care. What, specifically, do you mean by "serviced"? Collimation or some other lens adjustment for tilt or wedge issues? Do you know if the cell is collimatable? Tilt and wedge issues are much harder to diagnose and deal with. The focuser, I am sure can be adjusted to your liking.

Generally, if you buy one of these and you thoroughly check it out within the first couple of days of receiving it, the scope will be fine for a lifetime with reasonable care.

When talking about servicing I'm talking about collimation, and these particular scopes are collimatable, plus star tests and such along with the occasional deep cleaning. My local environment is brutal on optics with everything from corn dust to humidity so high it'll short out your gear, long term scope survival requires a more intense and thorough breakdown/cleaning than I can do at home.

#6 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:35 PM

I haven't used Texas Nautical Repair, now Land Sea & Sky, since the oughts but they gave me great and quick service and a fair price on my Takahashi scopes (2). Look them up at https://www.landseaskyco.com.

Also, they are located in Houston, so you could almost drive there, saving the shipping costs.grin.gif

#7 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:06 AM

When talking about servicing I'm talking about collimation, and these particular scopes are collimatable, plus star tests and such along with the occasional deep cleaning. My local environment is brutal on optics with everything from corn dust to humidity so high it'll short out your gear, long term scope survival requires a more intense and thorough breakdown/cleaning than I can do at home.

The best thing to do is learn to do it yourself.  When you say "deep cleaning" there really is no such thing...   regarding the lens, there are only 2 surfaces that will be cleaned - R1 and R4 also known as the front surface and the rear-most surface.  You'll not find anyone who would take the lens apart to clean all 4 surfaces except, perhaps, an energetic/ambitious ATM.  Moreover, its unlikely that anything but the front surface (R1) will require cleaning

Collimation is easy to learn and has two parts:  (1) Focuser   (2) Objective Lens.  

Star test - what are you are you looking for here?  An optical evaluation or just a collimation check?  

Someone mentioned TNR as a possible option - good idea if they will work on it; I am not sure they would.  And, even if they would, I doubt they will not perform an star test/optical evaluation and give you proof of the results.

There are a lot of folks here on CN who live within the gulf coast states and they don't seem to have issues of maintenance.  I am not doubting you, but perhaps the problem may not be as bad as you envision.  

Refractors, even in harsh conditions are nearly maintenance free - except for the front surface cleaning.  And you can eliminate the cleaning if you use a dew heater and blow the dust off of the lens after each session.    

If you purchase the telescope are having an issue within the warranty period your only recourse is deal with the manufacturer or the establishment that sold you the scope.  If out of the warranty period, I could take a look at the telescope, collimate it and bench test it.  Others on CN could do so, too.

Sometimes, its false economy to purchase from the vendor offering lowest price - especially if its offshore.  I think I would buy the scope from ES if future maintainability is the main concern (and in your mind trumps optical design). 

Anyway, this is all my opinion.  

Edited by peleuba, 10 August 2020 - 09:08 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics