•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use the EQstar/EQDrive Losmandy goto kits?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neinball

Neinball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:26 PM

So I recently picked up a pristine Celestron branded G11 DSC for a steal and knowing that I was on a budget the guy I bought it from suggested I look at the EQdrive($499) or EQStar($259) goto kits you see for sale on eBay. From what I can tell they seem to be very similar to Explore Scientific's PMC Eight system in that they run off of open source software. Has anyone used one of these systems? Is there a difference between them other than price? How well do they perform and how difficult are they to get running right? 

#2 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:09 PM

I purchased the EQDrive for my Vixen GPDX Mount and it works great.

It is not an open source system though. That being said, It is ASCOM compliant so you can use any of the popular programs to control the mount via EQMOD.

I believe the newest model has also Bluetooth.

I think the quality is great and it works very well. The only problem is the lack of support and service...

Hope this helps

#3 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:47 PM

I use one on a G11 and it works well.  The couplers are a bit stiff and the worm block will require some adjustment, but it does exactly what the Astro Gadget folks say it does.  However, it’s not nearly as refined as the PMC8.  I use that as well.  I think the only advantage, besides price, the EQStar has over the PMC8 is that it uses EQMOD.  If you don’t have $1500 to shell out on a PMC8 or a Gemini 2, the EQStar is a viable alternative.

-Steve

EQStar G11

Guiding EQStar G11

SGP EQStar G11

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics