•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX Switch Position

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

I walked toward my kit this evening from a different direction and noticed the RA Switch Position was leaning slightly towards the east. My sense is that this is not of immediate concern as it simply a starting point, but curious if I should question Celestron about how to change the RA Switch Position to be aligned with the zenith and not slightly off to one side or the other.

The Dec Switch Position seems to be in line with the RA axis, as it should be.

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

Not sure if the switch is adjustable on the CGX.  In any case, after an alignment, the system stores an offset value to help with future alignments.  In fact, that value has been known to become corrupted, thus the reason you will hear advice about returning to "factory settings" if the alignment routine goes haywire.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#3 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:13 AM

Yes, you can change the "home" switch positions on a CGX mount.

#4 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Yes, you can change the "home" switch positions on a CGX mount.

Are you thinking "Home Position" or "Park Position"....   Different animals.

To my knowledge (open to learning), "Home" is 0/0 with no offset.

#5 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:09 PM

Are you thinking "Home Position" or "Park Position"....   Different animals.

To my knowledge (open to learning), "Home" is 0/0 with no offset.

From the CGX manual:

Home Position – The telescope’s “home” position is a
user-definable position that is used to store the telescope
when not in use. The home position is useful when storing
the telescope in a permanent observatory facility. By default
the Home position is the same as the index position used
when aligning the mount.

To set the Home position for your mount, simply use the
arrow buttons on the hand control to move the telescope
mount to the desired position. Select the Set option and
press Enter.

Select the GoTo option to slew the telescope back to the
Home position at any time.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:12 AM

Home position does not alter the position of the physical switches. "Home" is a soft position created by the firmware (or the hand controller/iniital alignment code in the app) and not the physical switches. If you don't change the Home position setting then Home is however also the default position created by the physical RA and DEC switch positions.

The RA and DEC switch positions can only be changed by a very small amount (only due to play in the mounting bolts) so it's probably appropriate to say that their positions can't be altered and only very slightly adjusted.

The starting point created by the physical switches is just a convenience for the firmware so that it has a consistent starting point (and very helpful when the mount is used in truely remote operations). So if there is a small amount of offset in the position of the physical switches (offset from exactly 0 or 90 degree axis positions with respect to the OTA centerlines) it won't matter. What does matter to the firmware is consistency in the starting point. The hand controller firmware learns and stores this small offset when you do the initial alignments that include the calibration stars. 

Edited by mclewis1, 05 August 2020 - 09:15 AM.

#7 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:38 AM

To Woody218:

Yup... we agree, but are using different words.  Home position, if programmed, "could" be different than the Switch position.  And in my case, it is.  I "park" the mount by  going to the "home" position so that i can close my roof.  To begin operation the next session, i start the mount, and do the double click to goto the switch position (fixed at 0,0).

To be clear, with no programming (factory),  then the home position, and the switch position, are one in the same, being 0,0)

Mark:

Well stated.

#8 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

To Woody218:

Yup... we agree, but are using different words.  Home position, if programmed, "could" be different than the Switch position.  And in my case, it is.  I "park" the mount by  going to the "home" position so that i can close my roof.  To begin operation the next session, i start the mount, and do the double click to goto the switch position (fixed at 0,0).

To be clear, with no programming (factory),  then the home position, and the switch position, are one in the same, being 0,0)

Mark:

Well stated.

Yes, we do agree.

#9 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

Thank you for the informative conversation.

Yes, "Home" is initially the "Switch" position and is where CPWI wants to point to when first starting the mount. It is ostensibly 0,0. But, in my case, it appears the "Switch" position is slightly askew point in RA to the East by a couple of degrees.

Intuitively, I don't think I need to be overly concerned as the mount always returns to the same position, even if it is not 0,0. While I keep my kit up in my backyard, I do not "Park" the mount, so I always need to "Sync" the alignment model when starting a session.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics