•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

power supply for eq8-r-pro do amps matter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stevety

stevety

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Ramon ca

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:51 AM

dose the amps matter or just the volts  i now it takes 12 to 15 volts but  how much do amps matter can you damage mounts with two many amps .  i hope these makes sense.

Edited by stevety, 04 August 2020 - 12:54 AM.

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:38 AM

You cannot damage the mount with "too many amps".    The mount will draw what it needs from the power supply and no more.

You need a power supply that can supply a couple more amps than the mount needs, for a safety margin so the voltage doesn't brown out when slewing rapidly in cold temperatures.  

It is like when you plug your toaster in to the wall in your kitchen.  Your house has a ~200A supply, but the toaster only takes 15 amps because that is all it needs. 

I have a few of these https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B0002BA570 - one for the mount, one for the dew heaters, and one for the camera/focuser/USB hub.  That is probably overkill though.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 04 August 2020 - 01:40 AM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:56 AM

Yes and I would guess that a 5 amp supply is wanted.

Mount will have a "maximum" stated of 2 amp drawn but that is when steady slew, to ramp up to that speed it wil draw more - correlation is your car has a lower MPG accelerating from 30 to 60 then it does at a steady 60.

But the mount will draw the amps it needs, you just need to supply them. One thing could be to reduce the Max Slew Rate.

Insufficent amp is likely what causes many of the mounts to start wandering off around the sky.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics