•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter Image joining the 29-7 club

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HentySky

HentySky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:30 AM

The night of the July 29 was a lucky seeing night for a number of us across Australia.  Luke on the west coast (Perth) posted some great images and Darryl (on the east side) captured another brilliant set.  I live 180km to the south of Luke and for a brief moment I was able to join them.

I sat outside in the freezing cold (as all insane planetary imagers do) for about 3 hours experiencing OK but not fantastic seeing until the only cloud in the sky decided to pass overhead.  I continued to record a RGB set thinking it was a waste of time, the Histogram moving around like a heart monitor.  It wasn’t until I processed the images later that it became clear that cloud did me a big favour.  The cloud affected image was the sharpest of the whole evening.  AS!3 did an amazing effort in pulling this image out of what appeared to be a mess.

Anyway, enough of the waffle, attached is the image in question.  I have slightly over processed this image in an attempt to bring out more of the detail inside the GRS and Oval BA.  The spikey things near the Oval BA are still predominantly sticking up (no awards for technical terms here) and being influenced by the GRS.

Thanks for looking and for all those who sit out in the freezing night air praying for some steady sky, a friendly cloud is sure to pass your way soon.

Cheers Brett

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 2020-07-29-1604.jpg

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., Kenny V. and 33 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:36 AM

Excellent image Brett..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Plenty of clouds here atm if they work bro :lol: ...ready to have a go if there's enough clear sky, but I'm of the opinion we need to start using the ADC with the osc for Mars with it scraping 50 degrees now - & dropping lower: some imaging in poor seeing a couple of nights ago has convinced me to employ it for Mars & I'm in the middle of configuring an imaging train right atm - came into the studio & saw your excellent image! :)

#3 HentySky

HentySky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:48 AM

Thanks Darryl.  With Mars approaching 50 degrees I discovered recently that it is dropping into a big tree that is near my observatory.  I had the tree loppers out today to give me a quote but they are booked up for 2 months.  I thought about getting the chain saw out but the misses said no way.  I agree about the ADC, I just hope I get to use mine.

#4 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:29 AM

Lucky imaging to the rescue! I'm likewise constantly amazed by the magic stacking software is able to conjure up.

That's a cracking result Brett.

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:28 AM

Really impressive image there, Brett, fantastic processing. I think I caught a bit of that seeing a day later over here in Melbourne, hopefully there'll be more to come :)

Andrew

#6 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:41 AM

Some good data there and good image Brett. waytogo.gif

#7 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Great Image Brett. Quite surreal looking.  You are doing well in keeping Australian locations on the oppositions map for a bit longer.

#8 Vega700

Vega700

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

Stunning details Brett! Glad you were out that night and captured this image. Definitely not oversharpened, I am slightly in favour of bringing a bit more out if its under the surface. I dress up like an eskimo nearly every night waiting for the seeing to arrive, bit like fishing I guess.lol.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif

#9 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:34 AM

very nice details , very sharp, thanks .

#10 Az Frank

Az Frank

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

Beautiful detail! Good seeing rules!

#11 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Apollo

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:13 AM

Amazing image!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics