•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pirate patch

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Xtatic

Xtatic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

I was out again last night with little spotting scope.  I found it best for me, since I have astigmatism and near sighted, to take my glasses off and view that way.  At least with this scope eyepiece.  With glasses on I could not get the eyepiece filled with light.

After a bit I found myself fighting a little bit squeezing one eye shut.  Keeping one eye closed, maybe too tight, seemed like my "squinting" muscles quivered a bit and affected the viewing eye a bit.  I tried holding one hand up to block vision, both closed eyed and open.  Then I laughed to myself and thought maybe I needed a pirate patch for one eye.  

I'm thinking a "real" scope will make it a lot easier than what I have.  I have been setting the scope on my waist high porch on a corner, then I have to get down on my knees and look upward.  

• jiblet65 likes this

#2 Couder

Couder

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

I use a "pirate patch" once in a while. I too am near sighted and have astigmatism. BTW those of you who don't know - car headlights look like huge dandelions coming at me, taillights look like huge red dandelions .

#3 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Relieving the stress of closing one eye will greatly enhance your viewing experience; especially when scrutinizing a target for extended periods.

I usually just use my finger to help keep the eyelid closed.

• bignerdguy likes this

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:57 AM

I use a "pirate patch" once in a while. I too am near sighted and have astigmatism. BTW those of you who don't know - car headlights look like huge dandelions coming at me, taillights look like huge red dandelions .

This description sure sounds like cataracts to me.   I have astigmatism and had cataracts.  For me, those headlight "dandelions" were about fist sized with my arm extended.  If their brights were on, they became significantly larger.   Since I had cataract surgery, that effect is gone, even though my astigmatism remains unchanged.   jd      

#5 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Inexpensive eye patches are sold at the drug store.  I use one all the time when viewing planets and the Moon.

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:13 AM

my next purchase, i am sure it will make a difference to my eye muscles.

• DSOGabe likes this

#7 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:31 AM

My three essential accessories are a digital voice recorder, red flashlight, and eyepatch. I use the eyepatch very frequently, both to avoid squinting when I'm looking through the eyepiece and to preserve dark adaptation in my observing eye when I'm not looking through the eyepiece.

• Rich V., SeaBee1 and PolyhedralPig like this

#8 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

My granddaughter wearing her eyepatch...

gallery_241784_12194_232175.png

Arrggg maties, secure the hatches, tonight we sail!

Good hunting!

CB

• BFaucett likes this

#9 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

My wife also uses an eye patch, covering her non-observing eye when looking through the eyepiece and covering her observing eye while writing notes or looking at her laptop. (Most of us mortals can't even tell her laptop is on, never mind read the star chart.)

Clear skies, Alan

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:43 AM

My wife also uses an eye patch, covering her non-observing eye when looking through the eyepiece and covering her observing eye while writing notes or looking at her laptop. (Most of us mortals can't even tell her laptop is on, never mind read the star chart.)

Clear skies, Alan

It's worth noting that Alan's wife is Sue French, long time author of Sky and Telescopes Deep Sky Wonders and a legendary observer. What She could do with her 4 inch refractor.

https://www.cloudyni...rench-retiring/

I do not use an eye patch. My non observing eye has issues that mean that close up, reading, etc, is best done with my good eye. Closing my other eye is very natural.

Jon

#11 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Messenger

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

my next purchase, i am sure it will make a difference to my eye muscles.

It will make a difference! For me with one eye closed, the other eye's muscles would get tired quickly, not sure how one would affect the other. Even with the patch I still switch out eyes every once in a while

• sunnyday likes this

#12 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

I wear a shemagh, an Arab scarf, as a 'Rona mask and for sweat abatement in warm weather.  Just about the most useful thing man has ever come up with.  I also tie it around my head, covering my non-observing eye while I'm using my telescopes.  Works for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics