•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Discovery Wifi mount didn't cooperate tonight...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guessologist

Guessologist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

Thought I'd trot out the brand new Skywatcher Star Discovery goto mount with a wifi dongle I bought the other week for perhaps it's fourth night after being clouded in for the last 5 or 6 days... Did not want to complete a 3 star alignment for me at all tonight, the wifi dongle was dropping the connection usually on the second or third star. The issue was definitely the mount, I was using my phone to complete the alignment but once it dropped, the mount's wifi network couldn't be seen by my laptops either without power cycling the mount. Blew an hour trying about half a dozen times and changing the batteries to no avail before the clouds rolled in again! Utterly defeated by this point, I brought it inside and did a dummy 3 star alignment going through all the same motions, and it bloody worked flawlessly! 

The only possible things it could be as far as I figure are some kind of strong wifi interference in the backyard which seems unlikely here, or that the mount just hates the cold! I can't blame it, so do I... It was definitely a lot chillier tonight than the other times I've had it out. Perhaps the voltage in the mount is sagging too much during slewing to keep the wifi stable, I might get it a DC adapter. Or failing that one of the USB dongles so I don't have to rely on wireless which would be a bit of a shame, it's a lot easier to manually center things with a phone than a laptop...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics