•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

debating keeping LX65 8" SCT

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

I originally got this to put on my Celestron 6SE/8SE mount, but after trying it, it's too unsteady.  Every time I touch the focuser, it wobbles like crazy.  It does settle down fairly quick, but it's a lot worse than my 6" scope on that mount.  Otherwise, the scope seems nice, except for a fairly stiff focusing knob.  Not sure what to do.  Should I keep and and get a better mount?  My only concern with getting a beefier mount is the added weight.  I like the grab & go nature of it now.

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

6" or less is best for grab and go, in my opinion.

#3 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

6" or less is best for grab and go, in my opinion.

TBH, that's kind of my feeling as well.  The 8" is only like 3lbs heavier, but if I keep it, I need a new mount, which is also much heavier.

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:47 AM

Not sure this is the common sense for a "grab and go", but I wouldn't hesitate lugging an 8" SCT on that outfit around the yard.  Been there, done that. 

Have you tried mounting a second scope along side the 8" as a counterweight to see if that calms it down?   If not, you might try that.   Being able to mount a small refractor next to the 8" SCT would be pretty handy IMO.   

Personally, I would keep the 8" and find a suitable mount if necessary, but that's just me. 

jd

#5 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:54 AM

You could also try a few things to stabilize that mount, like dropping the legs down (don't extend them), adding a spreader, or adding around 10lbs of weight off the bottom of the eyepiece holder threaded rod.

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:32 PM

I originally got this to put on my Celestron 6SE/8SE mount, but after trying it, it's too unsteady.  Every time I touch the focuser, it wobbles like crazy.  It does settle down fairly quick, but it's a lot worse than my 6" scope on that mount.  Otherwise, the scope seems nice, except for a fairly stiff focusing knob.  Not sure what to do.  Should I keep and and get a better mount?  My only concern with getting a beefier mount is the added weight.  I like the grab & go nature of it now.

The SE mount IS NOT equivalent to the LX65, it's a poor stepchild by comparison and whether it's the 8SE or an LX65 8" it would exhibit the same issues. 
This is because the LX65 8" is about the same weight as a C8 SE, 12.5lbs.  It's got nothing to do with optical qualities. 

The SE tripod is weak due to a very high  leg seperator.  Add a reinforcing system about 1/3 way up the leg system to create a much stronger bracing, this will steady the system better.  Also, double check how the SE is holding the dovetail to make sure it's flat, parallel, and tight in the saddle.  Many people choose to buy the silicone stabilizing feet too,  they also help with the steadyness.  Also, are you setting the tripod on the ground or on a deck/floor of some type?  If the latter, you definitely will want the stabilizers.  

• RJ80 likes this

#7 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

I set it up on concrete to test initially.  At any rate, it's clear the weight of the scope is too much for this particular mount/tripod, so I'm not going to fool around with it.  I believe something is wrong with the focuser as well, so I'm done.

#8 RJ80

RJ80

Sputnik

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:18 PM

A complete LX65 8" with mount and tripod sold for not much more money than the OTA alone with Meade's recent sale. I considered the Celestron SE mount when I was shopping for an SCT recently, but steered clear after reading reviews that 8" OTAs are too much scope for it. I have no real trouble with stability with my new LX65 mount and 8" OTA. The construction seems heavier duty, with an aluminum inner structure and large brass worm gears. 

From your other thread, it does seem something is strange with your Meade focuser, but maybe it just needs to be broken in. Perhaps uneven lubrication that just needs to distribute? I'd spend 30 minutes just running it all the way back and forth to see if that improves things. Or pull it out and take a look?

Does your vendor easily accept returns? It seems many charge a restocking fee, don't refund shipping, ask you to pay return shipping, or only give store credit... by that point, you've lost a bit of money and still don't have an OTA. 

Other option is, keep the OTA, pick up an LX65 mount and tripod for $499 and sell the Celestron mount and tripod. The market is hot for SE setups right now with many vendors out of stock and it would probably bring about what a new LX65 mount and tripod would. 

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#9 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:56 PM

Thanks.  Not really sure what's up with the focuser.  I talked to the vendor, and they're going to let me return it.  I actually decided to scratch the idea of an 8" SCT for now.  My 6SE is great, and very portable. So.....I decided to add a nice refractor to my stable instead.  Looks like I'm going with a SW Evostar 100.  It's very light, and might work on my SE mount, but I'm going to get a better GEM for it.  The same vendor where I got the Meade has the Evo in stock and on sale, so I'm basically just going to swap.  The refractor is about the same price.

I did see the LX65 mount can be bought alone, and considered it, but man, it's ugly !  I know that doesn't really matter, but still.  Maybe someday if I move up to a bigger SCT, I will sell the 6.  I'm not sure how much a huge scope would help me anyway since there is a ton of light pollution here.

• RJ80 likes this

#10 RJ80

RJ80

Sputnik

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks.  Not really sure what's up with the focuser.  I talked to the vendor, and they're going to let me return it.  I actually decided to scratch the idea of an 8" SCT for now.  My 6SE is great, and very portable. So.....I decided to add a nice refractor to my stable instead.  Looks like I'm going with a SW Evostar 100.  It's very light, and might work on my SE mount, but I'm going to get a better GEM for it.  The same vendor where I got the Meade has the Evo in stock and on sale, so I'm basically just going to swap.  The refractor is about the same price.

I did see the LX65 mount can be bought alone, and considered it, but man, it's ugly !  I know that doesn't really matter, but still.  Maybe someday if I move up to a bigger SCT, I will sell the 6.  I'm not sure how much a huge scope would help me anyway since there is a ton of light pollution here.

Ha! I didn't particularly care for the look of the mount at first either, but it's grown on me since I've owned it. I came close to buying an Evo 8 actually, but ultimately decided to save the extra $600 since my viewing days are limited here in the often cloudy/rainy PNW. Nice thing about the LX65 is you can't see it very well in the dark! Actually, it doesn't look ugly to me, just old -- like it was designed in the '80s/'90s. 

#11 chronos1701

chronos1701

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:40 AM

I would say the design of the LX65 mount is simple and functional. Like the handle at the top of the mount. Makes setting up and transporting it around much easier. It won't win any beauty contests, but it gets the job done. :)

#12 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:30 AM

I would say the design of the LX65 mount is simple and functional. Like the handle at the top of the mount. Makes setting up and transporting it around much easier. It won't win any beauty contests, but it gets the job done. smile.gif

Is it really designed for refractors, though?  Seems more like an SCT mount.

#13 Xyrus

Xyrus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:35 AM

The LX65 has been a surprising sturdy and accurate mount, even with the 8" on it.

However, like any fork mount long tube scopes are going to be limited. The outer bracket doesn't have this problem but it's recommended weight limit is 7 lbs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics