•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

URGENT - Help with choosing a Dovetail For Scope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

Hi All,

First off, I want to thank "everyone" who has been helping me along with my quest into solar observing.... I want to purchase an iOptron Cube "Pro", GPS, Alt-Az Mount w/ tripod.... I  also want to purchase a Coronado PST Solar telescope.... I can't find a way to mount the flat bottom female 1/4" 20 (I think it's a 1/4" camera mount screw) female Coronado scope base to a dovetail plate that will mount to the iOptron.... I need to know what vixen-type type dovetail I need. I can't buy the scope or the iOptron because I don't know what dovetail adapter I need to easily fit the two together (scope to dovetail to mount). I cant find a solution...... HELP!!

Please post any links along with your recommendations.

Thank you, all, in advance.

Dave R.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

Anthony Davoli Machining sells what you need.

• MikeMiller likes this

#3 eros312

eros312

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:07 AM

This should work https://www.telescop...2160/p/7388.uts

#4 wadeprunty  Happy Birthday!

wadeprunty

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

The iOptron CubePro has a Vixen V style saddle. I'd get a William Optics dovetail plate for it.

https://optcorp.com/...=4261509.7df113

#5 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

The iOptron CubePro has a Vixen V style saddle. I'd get a William Optics dovetail plate for it.

https://optcorp.com/...=4261509.7df113

Thanks, wadeprunty.... Will the 1/4" provided Coronado "PST" male mounting screw work with this dovetail? will I need any other mounting bolts/ screws? Is this my answer/ fix? 

Dave R.

Edited by sealevel, 04 August 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#6 vincentv

vincentv

Mariner 2

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

A simple dovetail bar will leave the eyepiece sideways. I have used a PST like this and is no big deal. The other option is called an L-bracket.

Meade sells a small coronado branded dovetail bar, but if you have the PST at hand just measure the distance between holes and buy any that will match.

#7 tholan

tholan

Mariner 2

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:39 AM

I uses an "L" bracket, it keeps the eyepiece vertical. I would also recommend the Orion Starseeker Tracking Az Mount. This is one of my favorite pieces of kit. You level it, point it behind the sun, switch it on and it finds and tracks the sun very accurately. Great for imaging with the PST and ZWO 174mm camera. This mount even works with my Coronado Solarmax II 60mm and camera.

#8 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

I uses an "L" bracket, it keeps the eyepiece vertical. I would also recommend the Orion Starseeker Tracking Az Mount. This is one of my favorite pieces of kit. You level it, point it behind the sun, switch it on and it finds and tracks the sun very accurately. Great for imaging with the PST and ZWO 174mm camera. This mount even works with my Coronado Solarmax II 60mm and camera.

Thank you.... Will the Orion "L" bracket work with my iOptron GPS Cube Pro Alt-Az mount? Let me know.

Edited by sealevel, 05 August 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

Thank you.... Will the Orion "L" bracket work with my iOptron GPS Cube Pro Alt-Az mount? Let me know.

Heya,

I use this:

https://www.telescop...ASABEgLt4PD_BwE

The threading bolts right into the PST's black box, keeps the eyepiece vertical when mounted on an alt-az.

Very best,

#10 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

Heya,

I use this:

https://www.telescop...ASABEgLt4PD_BwE

The threading bolts right into the PST's black box, keeps the eyepiece vertical when mounted on an alt-az.

Very best,

BINGO! I bought it... "YOU" are the BEST! Thanks so much for the solution... Now, I have a nice solar setup thanks to you! Ciao... ;-)

Edited by sealevel, 05 August 2020 - 09:35 AM.

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics