•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 11 or CPC 11 Edge HD?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Daniele

Daniele

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tuscany, Italy.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

Next year I think I’m gonna buy a Celestron CPC 11.

My use will be visual and planetary imaging.
For deep sky imaging I’ll still use Hyperstar on my C9.25.

I’m undecided between the CPC 11 or the CPC 11 Edge HD.
I know that the only advantage I’ll get with my use with the Edge HD will be the flat and correct field across all the view visually.

Does this worth the surcharge?

Regarding the mount, are the same?

Thanks!

Edited by Daniele, 04 August 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#2 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

I am guessing that it likely will not help for planetary imaging as you are only using the very center of the field anyway.  Is it worth it for purely visual?

Also, the Edge-compatible accessories like focal reducers are twice the price so that is something to consider.

• Daniele likes this

#3 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

Might consider going to a full equatorial mount instead of altazmith.

gives more future flexibility if you decide to go deep sky imaging with C11

otherwise the edge advantages are mainly for wide/deep sky Imaging.

#4 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

When you add an ADC, barlow and camera behind your scope, a fork mount becomes a very limiting factor. An EQ mount will give alot more flexibility, way better tracking and the ability to do much longer exposures. I just recently dumped my Alt-Az mount and I will never go back.

• stringtheory56 likes this

#5 Daniele

Daniele

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

The CPC mount should be able to makes me reach the zenith even with long optical train I guess.
This kind of mount have the advantage to be ready in just 2-3 steps.
The only deep sky imaging I’m interested in is with Hyperstar because it’s fast.

Edited by Daniele, 04 August 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#6 Ittaku

Ittaku

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:18 AM

I’m undecided between the CPC 11 or the CPC 11 Edge HD.
I know that the only advantage I’ll get with my use with the Edge HD will be the flat and correct field across all the view visually.

Does this worth the surcharge?

Regarding the mount, are the same?

I just very recently got the Edge HD. It also has a sturdier tripod and a ventilated tube compared to the standard 11.

#7 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

Cannot imagine paying the extra freight on the 11 if it is just for visual. I vote standard.

#8 AlwaysANewb

AlwaysANewb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

I am planning on buying the CPC 11 Edge HD.  Spent a lot of time reviewing both and here is what i understood(I may not know the right technical terms).  The edge does all the corrections that you would have to do using various pieces of glasses. Every piece of glass you drop in it will cost you and you will always wonder if there is something better.  And one day, after few years, will realize that you would have spent little more and would have enjoyed better results.  

So by dropping in close to 1k more, you will not have to worry about it for a lifetime.

I am buying it next month and this will be my first telescope.  I like to jump in the ocean and learn swimming. :) 

Also researching a good barlow and few lenes.  Hopefully i dont end up selling my kidney for looking up the sky :)

• Alfredo Beltran likes this

#9 Alfredo Beltran

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:21 PM

I am planning on buying the CPC 11 Edge HD.  Spent a lot of time reviewing both and here is what i understood(I may not know the right technical terms).  The edge does all the corrections that you would have to do using various pieces of glasses. Every piece of glass you drop in it will cost you and you will always wonder if there is something better.  And one day, after few years, will realize that you would have spent little more and would have enjoyed better results.  

So by dropping in close to 1k more, you will not have to worry about it for a lifetime.

I am buying it next month and this will be my first telescope.  I like to jump in the ocean and learn swimming. smile.gif

Also researching a good barlow and few lenes.  Hopefully i dont end up selling my kidney for looking up the sky smile.gif

I completely agree. That’s why I chose the C9.25 EdgeHD o se the regular one.

#10 AlwaysANewb

AlwaysANewb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

My company is going to pay 2k ( because of a benefit package we get) for it and I am going to pay the difference and I am excited. Although 8t backordered, I did my research and need to buy a better eyepiece and a Barlow lens. I am excited for the possibilities.

#11 MachMike

MachMike

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

I am buying it next month and this will be my first telescope.  I like to jump in the ocean and learn swimming. smile.gif

Also researching a good barlow and few lenes.  Hopefully i dont end up selling my kidney for looking up the sky smile.gif

You are going to need to buy something to cool your optics. The standard 11 will equilibrate very quickly, the HD takes hours to equilibrate. I purchased the Starizona 'Cool Edge' to assist it requires roughly 20-30 minutes. Something to consider if you are hoping for a quick viewing session as it won't happen with the HD version of the 11". 

#12 Daniele

Daniele

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:25 AM

Thanks to all guys. I guess I'll go for the Edge HD.

• Alfredo Beltran likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics