•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 2x54 Ultra Wide Angle Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

What do people think of these? Obviously, the exit pupil is too large to be useful, but it looks like there is more than one such product on the market - Vixen offers something similar. What's the best way to think about these - are they really more like 2x14 binoculars (assuming a 7 mm eye pupil)?

#2 drt3d

drt3d

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

There has been a lot of discussion about these.... Some people love them for looking at constellations and large areas of the sky.

I have the Vixen one and I am not impressed or maybe my sky is too light polluted to be impressed.

You will get a lot of information by searching previous threads.

George

#3 John Carlini

John Carlini

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:16 PM

I just got mine last week and have yet to thoroughly test them out. I plan on using them on the Perseid meteor shower with less moon interference. I suggest reading the following thread since it references some comparisons:

https://www.cloudyni...ate-sky-roamer/

#4 Rokkor

Rokkor

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Isn't the larger objective lens what gives a Galilean binocular its field of view? These are not like prism binoculars. The only reason the objective lenses cannot go larger for a wider field of view is because the lenses would touch each other, or the eyepieces would become too far apart for your eyes.  

• faackanders2 likes this

#5 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

They don't have an exit pupil like a keplerian telescope does - they are galilean.  They double your pupil size.  The large objective lets your doubled pupil see a larger field of view when your doubled pupil moves around.  You only use a portion of the objective that your doubled pupil spans.  The closer your eye is to the eyepiece, the larger the field of view.  You get about 30 degrees true field fo view with about 1.5 mags deeper.

Here is a comparison I made with the Vixens.

• jrbarnett and faackanders2 like this

#6 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

Just got mine today. These are really very cool. Have only used them in the daytime so far and like someone wrote, it’s like having super vision. Very easy to focus and I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the field of view while wearing glasses. More after I try them under the stars tonight.

CM

• Mr. Bill likes this

#7 Alnitak2009

Alnitak2009

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

Since the objective lens in 54mm, would the stars,etc be as bright as in my 7x50mm binoculars? If so, then the constellations in increased brightness would be amazing. Recently the ISS passed over head and was very bright naked eye but through my 7x50's it was amazingly bright.

The 2x54's would be ultra portable and extremely useful at a very dark site. Super vision.

Can't wait to read some reviews from dark sites.

Don

#8 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

I  owned a pair a couple of months ago but ended up selling them.   Mainly because I had issues achieving perfect focus on both eyes with my eye glasses, and could not achieve focus without them either. When I did achieve rough focus, they were really nice but the views were washed out in my light polluted skies.  I think if you got decent skies, and don't need eye glasses these would be a cool addition to have around. 

Edited by Diomedes, 04 August 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#9 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

I wonder if there was something wrong with them. It was very easy for me to get perfect focus with my glasses on. These would definitely be a blast for Milky Way views under dark skies.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 04 August 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#10 Shneor

Shneor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:49 AM

A few weeks ago, when comet Neowise was fading, I looked for it from my driveway (at best mag 3.5 sky). I could not spot it naked eye, but it was obvious with my 2x54s. They collect much more light than your unaided pupils do, so you can see at least a magnitude fainter objects or stars.

• jrbarnett likes this

#11 Crusty99

Crusty99

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:58 AM

I have the Vixen model -- one of my most used binoculars. Use mine for sweeping night sky, day sky (clouds and birds), and landscape scenes (mountains and leaf colors). Just plain fun.

laugh.gif

Edited by Crusty99, 31 August 2020 - 03:00 AM.

• paulsky likes this

#12 Late_Cretaceous

Late_Cretaceous

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

I got a pair last month.  They are fun to use, and make a nice addition to my growing collection of gear.  I think they will come in useful, especially on colder nights when one need to get up and move around periodically to keep the blood flowing.  The view is very pleasing, and it is is quite refreshing to have such a wide field of view.  

#13 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:29 PM

I find them rather hard to use -- difficult to hold them at an angle so I don't see weird optical distortions and difficult to merge the images. But I keep coming back to them, because the view is so very cool. As someone aptly said in the main thread, it's like having teenage eyes again. I can see all of Cygnus and surroundings with stars down to 7th magnitude even in Bortle-4 skies.

DSOs ... not so much. Yes, lots are detectable, but few really look all that good at 2X. Most if not all would look better at 4X.

• Pinac likes this

#14 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:44 AM

Since the objective lens in 54mm, would the stars,etc be as bright as in my 7x50mm binoculars? If so, then the constellations in increased brightness would be amazing. Recently the ISS passed over head and was very bright naked eye but through my 7x50's it was amazingly bright.

The 2x54's would be ultra portable and extremely useful at a very dark site. Super vision.

Can't wait to read some reviews from dark sites.

Don

No, the stars will not be as bright as in 7x50. It will correspond to a 2x14 prism binocular system.

But the relative brightness will be the same, yes probably even better because of higher light transmission due to less glass surfaces.

A 2x galilean will feel pretty much like looking with naked eyes but the stars shining 4 times brighter.

Edited by Swedpat, 26 September 2020 - 04:45 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics