•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does large aperture prohibit large true FOV? Why?

binoculars beginner lens making observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Huan

Huan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Just mag 3 visually, that is tough. Takes some real perseverance to go out out for viewing.

I plugged some data for your APM BT70 into my spreadsheet, confirming your observation:

attachicon.gifAPM70.JPG

Would you please share your spreadsheet? I would love to play around with different sets of parameters on it, mainly simulating various scopes with different NELM to have a general idea of what to expect with any specific equipment in a specific location.  

#27 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

I've sent you a PM with the file attached.

• Huan likes this

#28 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:18 PM

What prevents a 100 mm BT from offering a relatively larger true FOV, say 6° to 8.5° that a pair of 8 x 42 mm binoculars provides?

Or it could provide larger true FOV but would suffer from some other issues that I’m missing?

It is possible, but even well-funded  astronomers don't reach that high. 

Film producers, sometimes.

Aside from eyepiece issues, the abberation of the short barrel becomes severe,

incurable by just 2-3 ED elements..

Looking at cinematic lenses, you could reach down to ~F2.8, but the 100mm telescope would

require 5-7 elements and the price (for the same transmission and quality) would

rise to maybe  30-60K$.   Your eyepiece issues would be partly alleviated, though.

It's doable, but for a very high price.    And you may need 

a fine sensor do do what your eye cannot.

Given the same amount of money, astronomers would be

reaching for power and distance instead. 

#29 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

This is an interesting topic! While the FOV of a prism optics system does not depends on the aperture like with a galilean system, it's still limited by the field stop. And the field stop increases with the aperture. 

So there is SOME relation between the FOV and aperture IF WE STRETCHES THIS TO THE EXTREME. Right?

#30 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

This is an interesting topic! While the FOV of a prism optics system does not depends on the aperture like with a galilean system, it's still limited by the field stop. And the field stop increases with the aperture. 

So there is SOME relation between the FOV and aperture IF WE STRETCHES THIS TO THE EXTREME. Right?

Yes, as in the original question, with a 100mm f5.5 BT you could get an 8° FOV at 8x with a 70mm 64° AFOV eyepiece but the exit pupil would be 12.5mm, limiting the effective aperture for human eyes.  The field stop would be approx. 78mms so the eyepieces would be HUGE and the prisms would have to be sized likewise.  I doubt most people could look through the thing even if it could be made.     undecided.gif

Not likely, IMO.

Rich

• Jon Isaacs and Swedpat like this

#31 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:50 AM

If you lower the f-ratio you gain field, whatever the aperture.

Of course, the bigger the aperture, the more aberration for the same f-ratio.

To tame that, the element count and price go crazy.

#32 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

Large aperture does not have to prohibit field of view if you use big eyepieces too big for most to view through simultaneously, and accept an exit pupil larger than your own. Lots of light would be wasted, but you might get higher contrast.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, beginner, lens making, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics