•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Norland UV Cement For Lens Re-cementing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

Lots of threads on separating and re-cementing objectives that reference Norland UV cement but so far I haven't found a reference to which Norland cement is best for our application.

My particular situation is with an old Jaegers 4" f9 achromat and it's finderscope, both objectives show significant cement decay. I'm working on the finderscope first, easier to deal with and sort of a 'practice' run before tackling the main objective. 

I've separated the finderscope elements with acetone (took several days of immersion), bought a pair of cast iron V-blocks from Ebay, am ready to buy some Norland UV cement. 

However Norland offers what looks to be six choices:

#60, 1.56 refractive index, "good" rating as to "glass bonding". 

#61, 1.56, excellent

#63, 1.56, good

#65, 1.52, good

#81, 1.56, excellent

So...which one? 

I've read a reference to the refractive index of the typical crown and flint glass elements being 1.56 and 1.51 respectively (or is it the other way around?) and the cement should match one of these...is that correct? 

Anyone have an real-life practical experience with any of these specific formulations? 

Curiously Norland UV cement does not seem to be available on Ebay so it looks like I'll have to order direct. 

I understand there are other solutions to this, like oil and the like but I'm interested in the Norland UV cement solution as I have several old camera lenses that need the same service. 

Tom Duncan 

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

please keep this thread going Tom, as I have two 32mm Meade 4000 5-element super plossls with cement issues and I would like to try re-cementing them. Your experience would help me immensely, I'm sure.

Mike

#3 davidc135

davidc135

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

I've read that Norland 61 is typically used for refractor objectives.  David

#4 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for your input David, looking for a few more recommendations before I order. 

Tom 

#5 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

I have used either 61 or 63 both at work and at home  for many years with no problems. Here are  two of my threads on how it is done.

https://www.cloudyni...ecement-a-lens/

https://www.cloudyni...elvinator-6x30/

- Dave 

• Oregon-raybender likes this

#6 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

DavidG, you used #68 for the recementing you did in the second link, I see it's listed by Norland as 'plastic to plastic/glass' and has an index of 1.54.

Was that by specific choice or just what you had on hand? I wonder if it makes a difference...

Tom 

#7 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

Norland #61 It meets the Mil-spec requirements. I have used it for most optics, very common in the shop.

Here is info from Thorlabs and Edmund that could be helpful

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

https://www.thorlabs...ectgroup_ID=196

https://www.edmundop...ASABEgI6z_D_BwE

Edited by Oregon-raybender, 04 August 2020 - 02:49 PM.

• Mike I. Jones likes this

#8 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

DavidG, you used #68 for the recementing you did in the second link, I see it's listed by Norland as 'plastic to plastic/glass' and has an index of 1.54.

Was that by specific choice or just what you had on hand? I wonder if it makes a difference...

Tom 

Tom,

As I said I have used 61 and 63 many many many times at both work and at home.  We use other types as well at work.  When  they expire at work we can't use them  but they are still good so I take them home vs just tossing them in the trash. I happened to have a bottle of 68 at home so I used it   to redo the lenses in the binoculars. The procedure that I showed for 68 is the same as 61 or 63. It was the procedure that I was trying to show in the threads I posted vs saying 68 is the best. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 04 August 2020 - 07:08 PM.

#9 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

Thanks all, I've ordered a 1oz bottle of #61 from Edmund. 

Tom 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics