•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone have experience with Astro-Gadget Drives?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 astrobeast

astrobeast

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Milford, CT

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:24 PM

Came across this a few weeks ago. Make a variety of aftermarket drive system for many commercial mounts (both Az and Eq). Quality looks good and prices more than competitive with the standard Eq-2/3/4/5  drives.

https://astro-gadget...opes/eq-control

This unit is for Eq-3, Celestron CG-4, etc., mounts. The controller makes it compatible with ASCOM platforms. For $139 there is a simpler version that does not include the controller, but will work with various planetarium programs via WiFi.

I found one very short thread addressing one of their more advanced systems on a GM-11, but nothing on the systems targeted towards the less expensive imported mounts. Anyone played around with one of these?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-1-1.jpg

Edited by astrobeast, 04 August 2020 - 12:54 PM.

#2 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:57 PM

I have this kit for the G-11.  The controller and cables are the same.  The motors and motor mounts are different and that's about it.  Mine is a direct drive mount with helical couplers rather than a belt drive.

The controller is EQMOD compatible and works very well for me.  Everything bolted on with no surprises or tinkering and worked "out of the box."  Gotos were as close as I would expect them to be using SkySafari, a physical alignment, and just one alignment star.  Plate solving with SGP and EQMOD worked without issue.

I didn't find the hand controller particularly useful.  It plugs into the ST4 port and allows you to manually move the mount.   

For a couple hundred bucks and a little DIY, this is a great controller kit for someone with at least some basic knowledge of their telescope mount. 

-Steve

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics