•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher, Starsense, WiFi, and GPS

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 derJeff

derJeff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:34 PM

Hello.

I have a Skywatcher EQ-6 R mount and the Celestron Skysense. I was wondering if I should get the Celestron WiFi module or the Skywatcher Synscan WiFi module. Would either one be compatible? Or neither? Or is there another solution? I would prefer the Skywatcher only because it's much cheaper.

I also have the same question for GPS connectivity. Would either companies GPS solution work with this setup? Would I even need that module if I'm connecting my phone with SkySafari?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Clear skies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

Get the SkyFi-3 module from Simulation Curriculum (they make the modules for Celestron and Skywatcher).  You can use it on just about any mount from any manufacturer. 

For GPS,  you need the proprietary Synscan unit, whether Skywatcher or Orion.   The Celestron unit will NOT work, and could damage your mount. 

#3 derJeff

derJeff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:48 AM

Get the SkyFi-3 module from Simulation Curriculum (they make the modules for Celestron and Skywatcher). You can use it on just about any mount from any manufacturer.
For GPS, you need the proprietary Synscan unit, whether Skywatcher or Orion. The Celestron unit will NOT work, and could damage your mount.

Thanks for the info. The SkyFi is a bit more than I want to spend. It's about 280€ ($300), without the Stay Night software, at a local shop here in Germany. Buying it direct would not make sense as I would have to pay customs, etc.

So, can I assume that either Celestron or the Skywatcher modules will work then?

Out of curiosity, why would the celestron gps module damage the mount? I thought that it would only talk to the hand controller to give it the exact location, time, and date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:38 AM

1. You do have the Skywatcher version of StarSense?

2. I do not think that StarSense would be compatible with the Synscan WiFi adapter. That adapter replaces the hand controller and you need the StarSense enabled hand controller to run Starsense.

3. Apparently SkiFi is compatible as it is plugged into the existing hand controller instead of directly into the mount.

JohnD

#5 derJeff

derJeff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:44 AM

1. You do have the Skywatcher version of StarSense?
2. I do not think that StarSense would be compatible with the Synscan WiFi adapter. That adapter replaces the hand controller and you need the StarSense enabled hand controller to run Starsense.
3. Apparently SkiFi is compatible as it is plugged into the existing hand controller instead of directly into the mount.

JohnD

1. Yes.
2. That is what I was thinking as well, but wanted to check with the very knowledgeable people here.
3. Agreed, but still too expensive (see previous post). ;-)

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

"Agreed, but still too expensive (see previous post). ;-)"

Yes. it IS a bit pricier.  However....... It is an item you need to buy ONCE!  If you change Mounts, if your Mount fails and you have to buy a different one, if you use someone else's mount. if you accumulate several mounts in the future, etc., etc., SkyFi will work with ALL of them!  In the end, it works out to be MUCH less expensive. the 'direct' support from Simulation Curriculum is MUCH better & faster than ANY of the 'individual' manufacturers, and the SkySafari Apps contain SO much more than the apps from the individual companies----- even though Those apps, and Those WiFi modules are made by Simulation Curriculum.

Cry once!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics