•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

zeiss lens cleaning wipes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:53 PM

I use these on my glasses. They say they are also good for optics. Anyone use these?

#2 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

A year or so back Walmart was clearing these out, I think 50 cents for a box of 100. They are inside individually sealed foil packets. Also clearing out Zeiss clean screen gel spray.

I have use the wipes a few times. They were already moist so did not use the spray. Seem to be fine. The pictures on the spray bottle show nothing but tv, computer screens etc. so I guess they may not be intended for lenses. I have used the spray on tv screens, and it seems to leave a bit of oily residue which I eventually get off by using bounty paper towels and 91% alcohol. Probably OK for eyeglasses.

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

I bought some a while back and could never get them to not leave streaks.  still have about 3/4 of a box somewhere.  they are fine on EP's and don't affect the coatings but I couldn't deal with the streaks.  just use 91% Alcohol and windex if the alcohol doesn't work.  on mirrors I finish up with ROR.

Edited by Mike G., 04 August 2020 - 03:28 PM.

• Foss likes this

#4 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

As long as you get dust off first, they should be fine. I've used them a couple of times. If you don't get dust off and you're not gentle, the dust could scratch something, depending on how fragile an optic or coating is.

#5 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

I bought some a while back and could never get them to not leave streaks.  still have about 3/4 of a box somewhere.  they are fine on EP's and don't affect the coatings but I couldn't deal with the streaks.  just use 91% Alcohol and windex if the alcohol doesn't work.  on mirrors I finish up with ROR.

This is my experience also, they like to smear and do not leave a good surface.  I find then I use some other lens cleaner to finish

the job.  

I end up using my proper lens cloth to finish up.

But then again for some users, "they are better than nuthin, honey"..smile.gif

Jerry

Edited by NDfarmer, 04 August 2020 - 05:56 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#6 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:36 AM

Thanks all.

#7 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:11 AM

I think you're still better off with a Rocket blower, camel hair brush, Kimwipes and a quality cleaning product like Purosol.

Zeiss wipes in a pinch, I suppose, but best for eyeglasses and household screens in my mind.

Rich

• Mike G. and Sterngucker like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics