•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewer upgrade advice?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:14 PM

For Newtonians the focal reducer power switch in front of the regular power switch was nice also.  But those probably are only used now.

#27 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:50 AM

Is EarthWin (Bill) still in business?  I live in Maryland, and I think they were located not far away in Ocean City, if I remember right.  But, I tried to check their website recently, and couldn't find anything.  I'd be curious to know if he has anything for sale.

He was in early March when he retrofitted my E/W unit.

Looks like the Website expired and he's Temp. closed.

IME you're better off calling him them email.

• John O'Grady and Sam M like this

#28 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

My only hesitation with a Denk II is the added weight.  I fear it would be hard to balance my Z8.  Also, I don't know how my dobs' focusers will handle it.  This is also a concern with the Binotrons.  That said, a Denk II does seem sensible, if I can find one at a decent price.  Thanks for the input.

I just use a 5lb magnet on the back of my DOB with a BV. Works fine!

• Sam M likes this

#29 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

I just use a 5lb magnet on the back of my DOB with a BV. Works fine!

5lbs?  Oy, I'm going to have to spend a thousand dollars on new focusers.

#30 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:36 PM

He was in early March when he retrofitted my E/W unit.

Looks like the Website expired and he's Temp. closed.

IME you're better off calling him them email.

Thanks, will do!  Maybe he has some NOS around the shop.

#31 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

Denk OCS are Multipurpose (lower power), Newtonian (mid power), Multiplier (high Power), Starsweeper (low power for SCT).

The A45 is Multipurpose and I would recommend that one for widest Newtonian view (never use the A37 multipurpose anymore), but "Multipurpose" requires more in focus.  A37 are all the other options above, and Newtonian and Multipler are nice alternatives.  All are 48mm thread.  Never had an SCT, so never got star sweeper OCS.

Thanks for all the Denkmeier information!  Clearly, when buying used, I should not assume that the system has all the same optical setup as an off the shelf Binotron of today.

So, if I'm understanding correctly...

Multipurpose A37 or A45

= what Denk ships now with the Binotron Supersystem

= lower magnification than 'Newtonian' or 'Multiplier' OCAs, but higher than 'Starsweeper'

= approximately 2.3x when used alone in a newtonian scope (moved toward the mirrors enough to reach focus)

= mid power in a standard power switch.

Just to thicken the plot a little, do you know if the 'star sweeper' OCA is usable in a newtonian?  Do you have a guess what magnification it would deliver?

The reason I ask is because of the idea, that seems increasingly unlikely, that I can create a lighter/cheaper system with just a low power and a high power.

#32 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

Sam, the star sweeper is, I believe, a focal reducer, in a 2" housing and will not work in a newtonian.

Jeff

• Sam M likes this

#33 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

5lbs?  Oy, I'm going to have to spend a thousand dollars on new focusers.

Oops, 3 not 5 lb. I put it in a sock so not to scratch the tube. Works great! Harbor freight. Cheap

• aa5te and Sam M like this

#34 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

Does anyone have an opinion about Siebert Black Night binoviewers?

#35 Winks

Winks

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:35 PM

I have the Siebert. I was skeptical about it as I've had a WO and 2 Denks and never cared for them. Nothing wrong with either, just didn't like. The Siebert - which is the older model acquired through the classifieds here - is excellent. I was out last night with mu Tak FS102 and the Siebert and Mars was a treat. Out the scope on Epsilon Lyrae and that, too was very good. Even though I've trained my eyes to view through one eyepiece (keeping both eyes open), the Siebert bv reaaly made viewing much more comfortable. No distortions that I could see. Used Panoptic 19mm and Pentax 12mm eyepieces. I don't know that I will use it all the time - I've a lot of Delos and such single eyepieces, but for planetary viewing it is excellent. As far as build quality: excellent. 1.3X and 2X GPC. Excellent support from Siebert by phone on using it and setting it up.  A keeper for me. Trying it tonight with my 180 Orion Mak.

• REC and Sam M like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics