•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade not Responding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oldman21

oldman21

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

After all the hoops I jumped through to finally get Meade to repair/replace my new ETX 125, now I am concerned.  I shipped the scope almost three weeks ago back to them.  Since then I have heard nothing.  I have messaged them three times asking if my scope arrived, has the new one shipped?  I am getting no answers.  I am going to try it again tomorrow and try to get some answers.  I don't understand this.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

Not surprising or unique lately. Bankrupt recently. If you have a #, try phoning.

• Bean614 and mfcassidy like this

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

As Dick mentioned above, it's not surprising.   BUT...... Try using the Phone!  Believe it or not,  during all the shutdowns and folks working from home, I've had no issues whatsoever when I actually made a phone call to various businesses,  services, financial companies,  etc.  

#4 DOS BUSSEN

DOS BUSSEN

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SANTA ROSA CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:08 PM

this not unusual  even before bankruptcy they were slow to respond ..

#5 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

That has been my experience as well. Very poor after sale service. 

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

Many telescope companies are slow to respond to let owners know their telescopes were received that's not just a Meade thing... It's NORMAL, yes it sucks but it is NORMAL for these companies not to let you know something arrived because you don't contact 'Joe' at Meade who actually receives the shipment... Joe is somewhere else(or elsewhere in the building from S&R)... that is why you should have a tracking confirmation number for anything you ship. 

You can then report the information over the phone/email/web interface and whomever sees the contact point can know it is there. 

Next, some bad news for you.... Typically ALL companies are slow on turnaround of equipment... it's the nature of the business model for the past 20 years. Remember, none of these companies is manufacturing the telescopes in the US anymore and so their servicing departments are much smaller than what they were in the 80s & 90s.   It's not unheard of for turn-arounds of 3-5weeks... this is SOP for optical companies so if you get it back sooner you're one of the lucky ones. 

Your best hope with any of them is to have a vendor as your mediator for getting the work done.  A vendor, like OPT, Highpoint, Company7, etc knows who to talk to at the manufacturer to make sure your equipment is being looked at.  Don't harrass anyone, check in at the beginning and end of a week in the morning, don't wait for late afternoon!  

#7 mfcassidy

mfcassidy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:53 PM

I couldn't help but smile at the Ginsberg quote. I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with him, filming and interviewing, many years ago while he was visiting St. Cloud State University in MN. To paraphrase a segment of our brief correspondence, he might well have said "There is no Buddha, there is no Meade, there is no telescope."

I am not trying to make light of what I know is a serious issue for you, but the post reminded me of Ginsberg's wit and wisdom, and the humor that can sometimes be found in life's challenges. 

#8 oldman21

oldman21

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

Well, Meade did finally respond.  After almost three weeks, they say they have not received my scope.  Now I am worried.  Have I lost it for good?  Who knows.

#9 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:05 PM

Waiting 6 weeks for a repair of the power panel for a new LX 850 mount. This is the second attempt to get it to work. I have been notified that the part was received and I do have a repair number.  However, repeated attempts to contact Meade regarding the status of  this repair have been futile.  I have written several times and called;  no one to take the call.  I am also worried that this new mount will be a permanent problem.  Suggestions please.  Lou

#10 RJ80

RJ80

Sputnik

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:04 PM

Well, Meade did finally respond.  After almost three weeks, they say they have not received my scope.  Now I am worried.  Have I lost it for good?  Who knows.

You saved your tracking information when you shipped the scope to them, I presume? I'd follow up with the shipper. 

Lots of delays, lost packages these days with the overload that shipping companies are facing. 

Just had some bits I ordered delivered after going MIA for over two weeks with USPS. I had to contact them with tracking information to find the package, then get it routed back on its way to me. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics