•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Praise for Orion Telescopes and Binoculars...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

[Admins - if this is not the correct place please relocate this post]

I want to publicly thank Orion's customer service and tech support.  

I purchased an XT10g back in the spring and had an issue that they have been working with me to resolve.  At every turn, they were great.  Their tech support was knowledgeable and patient with me.  While they were not able to resolve the issue with the XT10g, due to the time it took to try to Get it resolved, they extended they 30 day return policy to allow me to return it and get credit towards an XX12g (which I should have bought in the first place).

I can recommend them.  Yeah, I've criticized them in the past for charging more for some products than other vendors but with this kind of support backing up their stuff, I'd say it's worth it.

• Bill Jensen, BrettG, cuzimthedad and 13 others like this

#2 David I

David I

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Thank you for your post. I plan on an Orion scope and mount when it becomes available.

#3 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

Just wished Orion would even offer to sell replacement parts for scopes that were bought used.

• Jon Isaacs, MikeTahtib and wrnchhead like this

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

Just wished Orion would even offer to sell replacement parts for scopes that were bought used.

Or Celestron. I was surprised when I got into this hobby at the nonexistent level of service for the secondhand owner. Even one willing to pay.
  • turtle86 likes this

#5 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

I 'm not so impressed - they sold you a scope that didn't work, were unable to fix it, and are offering credit towards a new scope.  If you really wanted the bigger scope, OK, but they haven't gone above and beyond here.  You did them a favor by offering to extend teh time they had to fix it, rather than just returning it within the time allowed. 

And as Rob points out above, what are they going to do for the person you eventually sell it to?

• turtle86 likes this

#6 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

I 'm not so impressed - they sold you a scope that didn't work, were unable to fix it, and are offering credit towards a new scope.  If you really wanted the bigger scope, OK, but they haven't gone above and beyond here.  You did them a favor by offering to extend teh time they had to fix it, rather than just returning it within the time allowed. 

And as Rob points out above, what are they going to do for the person you eventually sell it to?

They offer lifetime warranty so I’m not sure what you mean by me doing them a favor.  They would have fixed it 10 years from now.  

Also I’m not selling it, they are taking it back.  

#7 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

They offer lifetime warranty so I’m not sure what you mean by me doing them a favor.  They would have fixed it 10 years from now.  

They shipped it to you for "free."  Did you have to pay for return shipping?

Dom Q.

#8 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

They shipped it to you for "free."  Did you have to pay for return shipping?

Dom Q.

Nope

#9 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

Or Celestron. I was surprised when I got into this hobby at the nonexistent level of service for the secondhand owner. Even one willing to pay.

I just don’t get it.  I can maybe see a warranty not being transferable to a second owner (though plenty of sellers offer that), but not even being willing to sell replacement parts or offer service for a reasonable fee is ridiculous in my opinion.  Sure glad we don’t have to worry this sort of thing when buying a used car.  lol.gif

As an aside, many years ago I bought an 8” LX200 used, and Meade was willing to send me a few replacement parts at no charge.  Their service and generosity definitely factored into my decision to buy a new 12” LX200 when I was ready to upgrade.  

Edited by turtle86, 04 August 2020 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

I just don’t get it.  I can maybe see a warranty not being transferable to a second owner (though plenty of sellers offer that), but not being willing to sell replacement parts or offer service for a reasonable fee is ridiculous in my opinion.  Sure glad we don’t have to worry this sort of thing when buying a used car.  lol.gif

As an aside, many years ago I bought an 8” LX200 used, and Meade was willing to send me a few replacement parts at no charge.  Their service and generosity definitely factored into my decision to buy a new 12” LX200 when I was ready to upgrade.  

With regard to the parts issue, I'm think it comes down to the fact that Orion is a reseller.  Most (all?) of their scopes come from overseas (China - Synta/GSO) and so since they don't manufacture them or have an exclusive arrangement with the manufacturers, the only way they can offer parts, assuming the suppliers don't offer parts, is to cannibalize an existing scope.  And so they probably figure it's worth it to do that for the original buyer of the scope since it's under the warranty but would be too cost prohibitive to offer that to everyone.  

Just my guess on this.  

Bottom line is that for me, for my situation, I found them to be super helpful and I'm very pleased.  

• turtle86 likes this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

I think what they offer is lifetime Technical Support.  

The warranty is one year.

"Warranty

Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only. For complete warranty details contact us at 800-447-1001."

I am not so impressed with Orion.  Their warranties are generally short and their tech support seems underwhelming. The fact that will not sell a second owner parts is a deal breaker for me.  

A CN member who lives in the SoCal area sent his 80mm F/6 Orion CF triplet to them for repair, the focuser adapter to the carbon fiber tube was loose.  

They told him they couldn't fix it, tossed it in a box and shipped it back.  It was poorly packed and the 2 speed focuser shaft was bent, rendering it inoperable. I looked at it. All I could do was disassemble the focuser and disable the two speed.  

I am glad they are taking back your scope.  Since it never worked, that's what they should do.  Hopefully the next one will be better.  

Jon

• turtle86 and GeneT like this

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

With regard to the parts issue, I'm think it comes down to the fact that Orion is a reseller.  Most (all?) of their scopes come from overseas (China - Synta/GSO) and so since they don't manufacture them or have an exclusive arrangement with the manufacturers, the only way they can offer parts, assuming the suppliers don't offer parts, is to cannibalize an existing scope.  And so they probably figure it's worth it to do that for the original buyer of the scope since it's under the warranty but would be too cost prohibitive to offer that to everyone.  

Just my guess on this.  

Bottom line is that for me, for my situation, I found them to be super helpful and I'm very pleased.  

Some replacement parts might be harder to get than others, but still seems surprising.  I’ve otherwise experienced good service with them myself.  Glad things worked out for you.  The XT12 is a very nice scope.

Edited by turtle86, 04 August 2020 - 08:05 PM.

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

Just my guess on this.  

Orion scopes use proprietary parts.  Other sellers provide support for their scopes.  Spare parts are part of support.  If they are forced to cannibalize an exist scope, which I doubt, that is not a good product support model.  

Jon

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:50 PM

Proprietary in the sense that the parts are made by the manufacture (Synta/GSO, etc.) but those manufactures also supply other resellers so these are not exclusive to Orion.   Again, they did cannibalize a scope for my situation and whether or not that's a good business model I can't say.  There's more to this than any of us would know, unless we worked for Orion.

Actually they were exclusive to Orion for a long, long time.  The good thing is you may be able to buy parts through Skywatcher.  

Quite honestly, the thought that they may be cannibalizing scopes for parts is scary.  That means a limited supply of parts even for those who purchase the scopes brand new.   If they change models, you may be dead in the water.

Jon

• turtle86 likes this

#15 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:07 PM

I'm not an economist, but my guess is that producing a batch of all kinds of spare parts and storing them for as long as you want cost money. That impacts revenue, selling price or both. It may not be worth for them and their business model.

When it comes to (D)SLR photographic cameras, seeing all the pieces they have, the precision in mounting them, the technical service, all parts they make available for repair, the cost of returns and recalls... it's not surprising the price some of them have. Well, it's a surprise they don't cost more.

Btw: congratulations, Dave!

Edited by sanbai, 04 August 2020 - 09:07 PM.

• Dave Bush likes this

#16 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:57 PM

Neither Orion nor SkyWatcher manufactures mounts. Neither one manufactures parts for mounts. So, getting parts shipped to you for a ten year old Synta mount is going to be hit or miss no matter what the policy is. It must first of all depend on whether or not Synta still has inventory of the various bits and pieces.  

Second of all, while Orion will not ship parts to a second owner BUT they will repair second hand equipment for a price. To me that's not a big difference, it may be to some. Call them and ask and post back what they say because my data point is 3 years old. 

Celestron told me the same thing 10 years ago when my venerable CGE started acting up on me. I could send it in and they would ATTEMPT to repair it. They made no warranty nor does Skywatcher or Orion that they will stock parts for some length of time for every mount they have ever sold. 

It makes no sense to buy a product from Orion if Skywatcher offers the same thing because the Skywatcher warranty is for 2 years and Orion's is only for 1 year. I did buy my AZ/EQ6 from Orion and got excellent support when the hand controller went bad on me. They shipped me a new one before they even got the old one. 

Rgrds-Ross

#17 edl

edl

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:45 AM

Sky-Watcher did the same, replacing the hand control for an EQ6-R under warranty. Not only did they send it before shipping the old one back, they actually never even wanted the old one returned. To be fair, the dealer here made the initial request. But still, good customer service all around.

Best,
Ed L.

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:06 AM

Neither Orion nor SkyWatcher manufactures mounts. Neither one manufactures parts for mounts. So, getting parts shipped to you for a ten year old Synta mount is going to be hit or miss no matter what the policy is. It must first of all depend on whether or not Synta still has inventory of the various bits and pieces.

Skywatcher is the house brand for Skywatcher..  Celestron is owned by Skywatcher.  It is my understanding that Synta manufacturers their own mounts.  A Skywatcher mount is manufactured by Synta/Skywatcher.

https://en.wikipedia...ical_Technology.

Second of all, while Orion will not ship parts to a second owner BUT they will repair second hand equipment for a price. To me that's not a big difference, it may be to some. Call them and ask and post back what they say because my data point is 3 years old.

I think it's a big difference.  If you need a part for Intelliscope Dob, it doesn't make sense to have to ship the entire base and maybe the scope too just to replace a simple part.  And given my friends experience with shipping his scope to them for repair and having them ship it back poorly packed so the focuser was seriously damaged, it's risky. 

I think Orion does some good things.  Unlike Celestron and Meade, they have some minimum standards for their entry level scopes.  Even their most basic scopes come with Kellner eyepieces. They have pioneered many of the scopes we take for granted. Orion worked with GSO to introduce the metal tube Dobs, the ED-80 and ED-100 seemed to be joint projects with Synta. I think they were involved with developing Intelliscope, certainly that was a game changer.

But it doesn't seem like they have a Kevin LeGore on their staff.  Someone who really knows their stuff and will jump on any problems that occur. 

Jon

• MikeTahtib likes this

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

The cheap Chinese-made telescopes of today are viewed as disposable commodities, designed with planned obsolesce in mind. No different than flat screen TVs, refrigerators, and stoves. Made with plastic parts, and mostly non-fixable electronics they are cheaper to replace than repair. I doubt you can find anything sold by Orion today that wasn’t made in China. I see no difference between them, Celestron, and Meade other than the color of the paint and the name on the label.

• turtle86 and wrnchhead like this

#20 jwpkrfan

jwpkrfan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:49 AM

I have an Orion Spaceprobe 130st. It's focuser has been bad since I got it but I didn't realize it at first since I was so new. A collimated Farpoint laser travels about 1 cm vertically across the primary mirror center mark as I rack the focuser through its travel. I see the same thing though collimation cap. I decided to give Orion a call today and they offered to send a new focuser no questions asked. I offered to send the old one back but they said it wasn't necessary. I was assured the new focuser will be in working order. 

• Jon Isaacs, turtle86 and Terra Nova like this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

. I offered to send the old one back but they said it wasn't necessary. I was assured the new focuser will be in working order.

Hopefully the replacement Focuser will be better. Keep us posted.

Jon

• Terra Nova likes this

#22 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hopefully the replacement Focuser will be better. Keep us posted.

Jon

My thoughts exactly!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics