•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn & Jupiter, not good seeing Barlow comparison

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimNaySeeUm

JimNaySeeUm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wichita, KS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

Well I went out last night and played with my 2 barlows again.  It was not good seeing but I got some interesting and conflicting results.  Also captured one image with all 4 moons, no barlow.  I took 3 minute videos of Jupiter and 5 minute of Saturn and did the videos back to back swapping out the Barlows.  Stacked with Autostakker, sharpened with Registax. No photo editing.

First Jupiter image is with the Explore Scientific 2x Barlow vs the GSO 2x Barlow.  The ES is smaller but a much better image.

First Saturn ES, 2nd GSO.  In this case when you zoom the ES image to the same size as the GSO it is not as good.

No barlow capturing Callisto, Io, Jupiter, Ganymede and Europa.

ES Barlow Jupiter, Ganymede and Europa, actually pretty pleased with this one as you can see a little detail in the moons.

Epuipment:

CPC 800

IR Cut Filter

ZWO 224 camera

SW USA (alt 34 to 35 degrees)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-08-04-ES 2x barlow.jpg
  • 2020-08-04-0410_8-GSO 2x barlow.jpg
  • 2020-08-04-0524_3-ES Barlow.jpg
  • 2020-08-04-Dyatic 0509_GSO Barlow.jpg
  • 2020-08-04-0436_#332- Callisto, Io, Jup, Ganymede, Europa.jpg
  • 2020-08-04-0436_rev 2-Jup, Ganymede, Europa.jpg

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., cdndob and 9 others like this

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Is the ES you're using their "Barlow" or their "Focal Extender"?  Most folks don't realize there's a difference.

#3 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

• Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

Interesting, i actually just sold a Highpoint (think the same as GSO) 2x ED Barlow to get the ES 2x focal extender (that i've not ad chance to use yet), I wasn't too happy with the images i got of Jupiter, I would say similar to what you're showing definitely not as good as the ES. I'm also interested to know if it's the ES focal extender or barlow you used.

#4 JimNaySeeUm

JimNaySeeUm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

Bean, I should have clarified, it is classified more as a focal extender, similar to a powermate.  Also one thing I forgot to do, I wanted to swap the position of the ADC and both Barlows and see how or if fhat changed magnification.  

Howard, I recently got some very good images of Jupiter with my GSO, but I had very good seeing, which can make all the difference in world.

Edited by JimNaySeeUm, 04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM.

#5 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Bean, I should have clarified, it is classified more as a focal extender, similar to a powermate.  Also one thing I forgot to do, I wanted to swap the position of the ADC and both Barlows and see how or if fhat changed magnification.  

Howard, I recently got some very good images of Jupiter with my GSO, but I had very good seeing, which can make all the difference in world.

Yes I get that although i'm just starting out with Planetary AP. However i assume the above images were taken on the same night to show the difference in the two barlows.

Unfortunately i'm in the southern california desert region where thermal heat rising from the ground at night is messing with any chance i get for good seeing, pretty much 90+ at night here plus now this Apple Fire has just ruined the normally clear night time sky! I need a trip into the mountains to give my new ES focal extender a workout, away from all the smoke in the atmosphere! Funny thing is it didn't look too bad last night so i setup my C8, did my aligns, slewed to Jupiter, not too bad in my 40mm then switched to a 11mm (EP's i use for aligning) it was horrendous, might be the worst views i've seen of Jupiter, could barely make out the 2 equatorial belts, so that was that! LOL

#6 JimNaySeeUm

JimNaySeeUm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:56 PM

Howard, I am pretty new to this also, just started last year. I recently bought the ES Barlow/Extender hoping the better optics would be noticeable in my images.  The thing that surprised me is both Barlows are supposed to be 2x, yet the ES Barlow/Extender images are obviously smaller and look more like a 1.5x compared to my GSO. 

Also, I have read on this forum that the worse the seeing is the less you can use magnification.  So I do not know if the ES Jupiter image is better because of less magnification or who know they say seeing can change within minutes.  But no doubt the images of Jupiter using the ES look much better than the GSO.

I did get these images with my GSO last week on a really good night.  These are probably the best I have ever got.  It does beg the question would these have looked even better using the ES, who knows.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-07-25-0502_8-RGB-Sat_Exposure=5.jpg
  • 2020-07-25-0517_7-RGB-Jup_#2 Exposure=3.jpg

• eros312 likes this

#7 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:31 AM

Howard, I am pretty new to this also, just started last year. I recently bought the ES Barlow/Extender hoping the better optics would be noticeable in my images.  The thing that surprised me is both Barlows are supposed to be 2x, yet the ES Barlow/Extender images are obviously smaller and look more like a 1.5x compared to my GSO. 

Also, I have read on this forum that the worse the seeing is the less you can use magnification.  So I do not know if the ES Jupiter image is better because of less magnification or who know they say seeing can change within minutes.  But no doubt the images of Jupiter using the ES look much better than the GSO.

I did get these images with my GSO last week on a really good night.  These are probably the best I have ever got.  It does beg the question would these have looked even better using the ES, who knows.

WOW! I'd be extremely happy with those last two shots, the detail on Jupiter is amazing and the rings on Saturn look great!

I see you're using pretty much the same scope C8, think you have an upgraded camera to me, i'm using the ASI 120MC-S bought primarily to use as a guide scope for DSO photography. I do not have the IR cut filter, i've seen most use that. I have the Baader UV/IR cut L but in a 2" version I use with my DSLR won't work with the 1.25" focal extender or camera, maybe i should look for one of those.

Well hopefully the smoke will clear out of the air in the next week, so i can try out the ES f/extender and maybe find that filter meanwhile. Also check my collimation, tried that last night trying to salvage something out of setting up it looked close but not 100% perfect, I hate it when it's like that as one small turn and you're worse than when you started, lol Not really got the collimation down yet, got the bobs knobs which make it easier but sure requires a lot of patience!

#8 JimNaySeeUm

JimNaySeeUm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Howard and I agree collimation is hard, I have the same knobs.  I messed with mine for 30 minutes trying to get it right the other night.  Well I hope the seeing get better for you.  I am out of commission for a while, my camera cord plug pulled off.  I found a replacement on Amazon that is supposed to get here by Saturday.  I really want to try to get some better Mars pics, but right now the best time to view Mars is around 5 and I just haven't been able to wake up the early.

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:25 AM

From your latitude, you should be including an ADC in your imaging train with the ASI224MC.  I'm not sure if it would make the comparisons easier or harder, but it would increase the overall potential for detail when the seeing does permit.

#10 JimNaySeeUm

JimNaySeeUm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

I am using an ADC, I just forgot to list it in my equipment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics