•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Figure XP needs a small fix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM

Figure XP is a decent mirror testing program for mirrors that aren't superfast. I reverse the image so it's not so dark. This saves a lot of black ink if you want to print it. Unfortunately this makes the curves on the graph rather pale and leaves an annoying gray bar which contains the mirror specs. Are there any programmers out there that can make the gray bar always appear clear ? Thanks :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 4+5_Surface.jpg

• Pinbout likes this

#2 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

Your basic graphics program that can adjust gamma and contrast can do that.  But only for the gray bar, the other detail will suffer.

#3 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

I know of no available source code for FigureXP.  So how do you propose to get it changed if a programmer was available?  Do you have the source?  I'm a programmer.

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:49 PM

Use different colors 

#5 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:46 PM

I know of no available source code for FigureXP.  So how do you propose to get it changed if a programmer was available?  Do you have the source?  I'm a programmer.

Only James Lerch would have that

#6 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:59 PM

Use different colors 

I've been using something called Irfanview. Works well for most things. I can't say I have an intimate understanding of all it's features. There

might be something right under my nose that I didn't discover. Changing colors ? I don't know if it will do that.

#7 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

Use different colors 

What software or program would you recommend ? Thanks

#8 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

IrfanView will do everything you want. 

• wavefront likes this

#9 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:03 PM

Only James Lerch would have that

James has disappeared from the ATM community.  However I found posts by him on some Youtube truck fixing videos but he did not reply to my attempts to contact him a few months ago.

You can use irfranview by first enabling the edit show paint dialog.  Then pick a color and use the paint bucket on top of the color you would like to change to flood fill that color.  You also may be able to do a replace color operation some other way with it.

• wavefront likes this

#10 chantepierre

chantepierre

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

Dale,
After asking you for the source code of FXP when it was unclear if you had it (roughly 3 months ago) I contacted James on reddit where he posted about ATM. I did not get an answer, and had indicated that I could understand if he did not want to be reached (especially by the stranger I was).

Maybe FigureXP could be decompiled and rewritten to another language to allow easier evolution but I do not know the reverse-engineering/decompilation abilities of Visual Basic. I think a rewrite with a decompiled référence falls into a legal (dark) gray area.

#11 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Messenger

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

Maybe FigureXP could be decompiled and rewritten to another language to allow easier evolution but I do not know the reverse-engineering/decompilation abilities of Visual Basic. I think a rewrite with a decompiled référence falls into a legal (dark) gray area.

How do you know that FigureXP was made with Visual Basic?

It seams to be a text-based interface like a good old DOS program.

Could it be so old that old stuff like Turbo Pascal or even C was used?

Anyway decompilation can be done regardless of the programming language that was use, but with debug info files it _could_ be decompiled into it's original source code.

These debug info files are typically not part of a compilation for production/release, so...

So without these extra files we will get assembly code.  Not too much fun but it _can_ be read by a human - if you really insist :D

Maybe the assembly code could be further decompiled to some higher language but i have to research on that.

Anyway i have often thought of trying to do this reverse-engineering.

But i agree with your remark about legal gray area and that has stopped me going any further.

One could speculate that since FigureXP has for years been free to use in public domain then the actual code is also. shrug.gif

But as you note, gray area.  

• chantepierre likes this

#12 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

Dale & chantepierre,

While James did the programming for FigureXP and added features with help from (as I recall it) Dale, Jim Burrows, Nils Olof Carlin, and others, the bulk of the operational code came from the porting of Dave Rowe's Figure45 to Windows. Dave had been distributing Figure35 and then Figure45, both for DOS, for quite some time but they quit working with the advent of Windows XP. James worked with Dave and others to port the Figure45 code to Windows.

EDIT: And yes, the FigureXP executable is written in Visual Basic 6. It internally links the MSVBVM60.DLL.

You may try contacting Dave Rowe to see if he still has (and is willing to make available) the original Figure45 code base and start anew from there to build a modern Windows (and MacOS and Linux) version.

John

Edited by jdupton, 07 August 2020 - 08:35 AM.

• wavefront, LarsMalmgren, Andy Tucker and 1 other like this

#13 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

Carl (CKH here) has written a very powerful and useful modern Foucault analysis program designed to process hi-res Foucault images.  He might consider adding a manual IF to the analysis code, which would then take the place of most of existing FigureXP, but without the limitations.  But I wouldn't be the one to ask him since the digital method is so superior at this point. :shrug:

• PrestonE likes this

#14 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

Dale & chantepierre,

While James did the programming for FigureXP and added features with help from (as I recall it) Dale, Jim Burrows, Nils Olof Carlin, and others, the bulk of the operational code came from the porting of Dave Rowe's Figure45 to Windows. Dave had been distributing Figure35 and then Figure45, both for DOS, for quite some time but they quit working with the advent of Windows XP. James worked with Dave and others to port the Figure45 code to Windows.

EDIT: And yes, the FigureXP executable is written in Visual Basic 6. It internally links the MSVBVM60.DLL.

You may try contacting Dave Rowe to see if he still has (and is willing to make available) the original Figure45 code base and start anew from there to build a modern Windows (and MacOS and Linux) version.

John

Since I have a mild relationship with Dave (He started the interferometry group which I am a moderator of ).  I sent him email asking about the source.  He did not replay right away and I got worried.  The Covid virus had intervened.  Dave is self isolating out in the California Desert without net access.  He comes back online infrequently with tons of mail he searches through.  He saw one of mine  about the interferometry group.  However he may have missed my asking about did he have the source for FigureXP.  Which he might.  Anyway I got no response on that issue a few weeks ago.  

Dale

• LarsMalmgren likes this

#15 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Dale,

Thanks for checking. I do not know whether Dave Rowe would have source for FigureXP but may still have source for Figure45. There are few differences between the two operationally and the user interface works exactly the same so a new porting to Windows could be done. The key difference is that FigureXP was built on a Windows framework rather than DOS. I have no idea if James ever shared the converted source code back with Dave or not. With source code from either FigureXP or Figure45, a new OS agnostic version could be created using one a several multi-OS frameworks.

Let everyone know if you hear from Dave again...

John

• LarsMalmgren likes this

#16 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

This problem was solved by buying a better printer. The reversal looks fine now

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics