•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy GM8 and Vixen Sphinx SX2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

Any thoughts on these two mounts from owners?  The non-GoTo models have a similar price point and I'm looking at both for a tracking but not GoTo mount.

Thanks!

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

I have a Vixen Sphinx SXW. It is the predecessor to the SX2 but is goto. I also have a Losmandy GM8 dual axis drive non goto. And I have an older Vixen GPD2. Of the three the GM8 is my least favorite. It's a good mount I just prefer the Vixen's. If setting circles are important to you on a non goto mount the GM8 has usable ones but the SX2 has none. Losmandy by the way does not offer the non goto GM8 any more to the best of my knowledge.

#3 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

Good to know.  It's in stock right now at a couple of places (https://www.bhphotov...rial_mount.html)

#4 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

Good to know.  It's in stock right now at a couple of places (https://www.bhphotov...rial_mount.html)

I would call them to verify.  I thought they drop ship from losmandy. They have not offered non go to for a couple years.  You can pick one up used for ~ 800 dollars.  They are built like tanks.  

Jmd 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics