•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Non-HA Target?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

Hey ya'll I was wondering, what are some targets that nice and bright to photograph? I recently did the trifid and lagoon nebulas and they came out great. However, when I tried the western veil, I haven't quite been able to pull out much detail. Are there other targets like the trifid and lagoon that are nice and bright? Thanks in advance!

#2 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

M27.

But...both the Lagoon and the Trifid have significant h-alpha. So do you just want bright or bright with no h-alpha, as in your title?

#3 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

Andromeda, Pleiades, Rho Ophiuchi

#4 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

hmmm maybe I just want bright? Sorry I should have said that differently.
I've not done Rho Ophuichi before but I'd like to try that one!!

#5 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:57 PM

M13 and lots of other clusters. 

Wrong time of year, but M42, Horsehead and Flame, lots of galaxies are good

Edited by Readerp, 04 August 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• Teddythefinger likes this

#6 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

M13 and lots of other clusters.
Wrong time of year, but M42, Horsehead and Flame, lots of galaxies are good

I've been tackling some galaxies over the winter and i recently did the Hercules cluster. I'm thinking of doing m16 next time I can get outside. That looks nice and bright.

#7 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

M5 is really bright too.

M17 and Trifid (M20) are bright as well.

#8 JDShoots

JDShoots

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, North East

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

Aside from star clusters,I agree with Eric, I think the Pleiades is a good choice in a few months.  Mag 1.2, brighter then Andromeda, and big. 

Other then that I am drawing a blank.  

I mean the Orion and Horsehead area is worth it, even with out a mod'ed camera, they are also bright and large.  

There are so many cool galaxies out there but they are so small (in apparent size:).

We need another comet to make a surprise visit! 

#9 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:21 PM

Here's my top 12 bright and interesting targets for DSLR shooters organized by season: https://www.nebulaph...htLargeDsos.pdf
M31 is a good challenge, very bight core.

Right now, I'd probably try more stuff in the Milky way like Rho and the Sagittarius star cloud (right above lagoon/trifid)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
  • JDShoots likes this

#10 JDShoots

JDShoots

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, North East

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

Nice list Nico, that reminded me too add a couple to my list for next year.  What are some of the targets you considered, which fell off this "short" list.   I am forwarding this to some friends.  

#11 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:57 PM

The Western Veil is a supernova remnant—a real bugger to pull much out of. (You'll recall I captured the Vela Supernova Remnant earlier this year, and it was an utter PITA, especially shooting on hot, dusty nights).

Though small, the Eagle and Swan nebulas make for easy targets. The Swan Nebula is particularly bright—I got some decent results out of my f/6 SCT even with poor guiding. And from your location north of the equator, the North America and Pelican Nebulas are also quite accessible at the moment. For a real challenge, go after the Blue Horsehead Nebula

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 07 August 2020 - 08:14 PM.

#12 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Here's my top 12 bright and interesting targets for DSLR shooters organized by season: https://www.nebulaph...htLargeDsos.pdf
M31 is a good challenge, very bight core.

Right now, I'd probably try more stuff in the Milky way like Rho and the Sagittarius star cloud (right above lagoon/trifid)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the list!! I spent a few hours last night with the eagle nebula, but that pesky moon made it tough and it's not up in the sky too long either. 

The Western Veil is a supernova remnant—a real bugger to pull much out of. (You'll recall I captured the Vela Supernova Remnant earlier this year, and it was an utter PITA, especially shooting on hot, dusty nights).

Though small, the Eagle and Swan nebulas make for easy targets. The Swan Nebula is particularly bright—I got some decent results out of my f/6 SCT even with poor guiding. And from your location north of the equator, the North America and Pelican Nebulas are also quite accessible at the moment. For a real challenge, go after the Blue Horsehead Nebula

BQ

I hear that! I have 13-15 hours on it and I can't pull much out without REALLY butchering the photo....that blue horsehead is absolutely beautiful! I'll have to put that on my list for the next season. I won't like, that photo with the single swan nebula looks amazing with the distorted stars on the side.  I know people want perfectly flat stars and all that but I think it makes the colors and the target stand out that much more. Maybe I'm weird!

#13 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the list!! I spent a few hours last night with the eagle nebula, but that pesky moon made it tough and it's not up in the sky too long either. 

I hear that! I have 13-15 hours on it and I can't pull much out without REALLY butchering the photo....that blue horsehead is absolutely beautiful! I'll have to put that on my list for the next season. I won't like, that photo with the single swan nebula looks amazing with the distorted stars on the side.  I know people want perfectly flat stars and all that but I think it makes the colors and the target stand out that much more. Maybe I'm weird!

While brighter than a typical dust reflection nebula, the embers of an ancient supernova don't glow anywhere near as bright as an emission nebula. I can't remember which scope you've got, but I think it's an f/6. If so, you'll have similar trouble with the Blue Horsehead—I needed over 3 hours at f/2.8 to fill in the dust on the periphery. At f/6, that's (6/2.8)2 × 3 = 14 hours.

My scope in question is a bit of a sore subject for me. The Celestron C5/750 f/6 black tube SCT was built in the '70s to be attached directly to an SLR camera. And they show it shot hand-held during the day.

post-273658-0-01715400-1570100169.jpg

It had no visual back and came with a cantilevered foot for tripod attachment. You can't imagine the vibrations I suffered before I got it some tube rings and a dovetail! And backfocus wasn't a thing for this design, so coma correctors and OAGs are off the table. Luckily, it can accommodate a visual back, so it makes for a good visual scope…but this is as good as it gets for AP. So I'm now pondering an upgrade to a modern C6 f/10…

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 08 August 2020 - 07:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics