•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for an ETX-90 AT eyepiece holder replacement part

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Carlsbad CA, near San Diego

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM

A friend has lost the eyepiece holder for his ETX-90 AT and I'm trying to find a replacement.

I've tried telescope-warehouse.com and Clay Sherrod, but so far have come up empty-handed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Tailspin45, 04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM.

#2 drew79

drew79

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:33 AM

Hi
Don’t know if your based in us or uk!
Telescope house.com sell an handset and eyepiece tray It’s old stock.
https://www.telescop...A/C/AC622_3.jpg
  • Tailspin45 likes this

#3 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:42 AM

Hi
Don’t know if your based in us or uk!
Telescope house.com sell an handset and eyepiece tray It’s old stock.
https://www.telescop...A/C/AC622_3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion1

I'm in California, and found what we need. It was actually the part in the mirror cell housing that holds the eyepiece. I didn't;t make that clear.

But, again, thank you!

#4 peteryan

peteryan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Alabama

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:09 PM

I've stripped the threads in the eyepiece holder of my etc 90.  It's plastic and I got a bit too aggressive tightening it.

Can you pass on how you solved your problem?

thanks,  Pete

#5 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

I've stripped the threads in the eyepiece holder of my etc 90.  It's plastic and I got a bit too aggressive tightening it.

Can you pass on how you solved your problem?

thanks,  Pete

The eyepiece holder is a press fit, and with a little persuation comes right out. In fact, it has a reputation of falling out on occasion.

I found a replacement for my firend's scope through Bill at https://telescope-warehouse.com. You can reach him at scopeheadbill@gmail.com

Bill had a solution that he said it wasn't original equipment but would work with a little epoxy. He may have another.

If he can't help you, maybe remove the holder, take the screw out and put a dab of epoxy in the hole then put then screw back in would solve the problem?

If you use epoxy of any sort, I'd suggest carefully stuffing something in the hole so it doesn't get on the flip mirror or, worse, outgasses and gets on the primary mirror or inside of the corrector.

Ask me how I know! A part of the tube cover on an 8" LX-90 came off so I super glued it back on and put the cover back in place. Next time I went to observe I discovered a haze over the whole corrector that didn't come off with the usual blowing or even alcohol diluted with distilled water.  Back to the factory for an expensive repair.

Edited by Tailspin45, 09 August 2020 - 01:25 PM.

#6 peteryan

peteryan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Alabama

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

Thanks!  I think I'm on the right track now.  Good advice about the outgassing of epoxy/super glue.  Just the sort of thing I'd do.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:42 AM

Later ETX's are probably Synta sourced and use the same eyepiece holder as the Nexstar 4 Mak that also threads in. But yeah, careful application of filled epoxy works here. JB Weld is filled. The filler helps bridge the gaps.

#8 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

Ended up filing the threads off and it produced a snug press fit. Added a very small amount of hot glue. Ta-dah!

IMG_3670.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics