•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexDome Observatory or ROR?

mount observatory observing
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Hello all
I am trying to get something going by end of fall or towards the end of the winter 2021 so i can leave my gear setup. It takes too long to leave inside to bring out, the ever changing weather and clouds, as well as the possibility of eventually getting my father to finally remote observe from inside the house. 
I have been looking at getting a NexDome, over a SkyShed mainly for overall functionality and design, and especially the price. For an additional couple hundred I can get a NexDome. BUT....ive also been thinking about a ROR. I know they take up more of a footprint but barely. I would like some input as to the benefits, pros/cons of each. Would the NexDome be better in the long run? Would a ROR be cheaper? 

Any other questions I am sure I will reply to along the way of this thread. 

Thanks 
Pete 

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:24 PM

You should note that the ROR (rectangle shape) will provide more open area to move around your scope compared to a round footprint.

• OrionNebula32 likes this

#3 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:35 PM

You should note that the ROR (rectangle shape) will provide more open area to move around your scope compared to a round footprint.

Only thing about the ROR is that it would be more of a "hard install" with full cement pours for support and i like the fact that i can take the pods with me after i graduate college and move back out of my rents house. 

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:06 PM

Both domes and ROR require some sort of floor to be on, and you can have either of them on deck floors instead of cement (https://backyardobse...s.com/products/).

There are also less permanent style structures, for example: https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html

It of course depends on the type of scope you plan to mount.  Big Dobs work better in ROR.  Pier motels are meant for equatorial mounted refractors.

Good luck.

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:06 PM

If I was a photographer, I might opt for a dome.  However, I am strictly visual and wanted lots of room to move around my scope.  I have also come to appreciate being able to look up and see the entire sky from my roll-off roof.  

I was put off by the cost of the SkyShed, which wouldn't have fit my scope anyway.  I ended up spending more on my roll-off.  And a SkyShed can be assembled in an afternoon.  My roll-off took six months of Saturdays to build (it's a hundred miles away). 

Those are the big issues I considered when deciding between a dome and a roll-off.  I'm happy with my roll-off.

Something else to consider: if you're building at your house you could do something tiny: a motel-o-scope.  Or something a bit larger: a roll-away observatory, a building you roll away from your pier so it only has to be big enough to house your pier/mount/scope.

#6 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

BTW, I meant to add that you are correct that a dome would be more portable than a ROR if you plan to move it to your next destination.

#7 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:20 PM

Both domes and ROR require some sort of floor to be on, and you can have either of them on deck floors instead of cement (https://backyardobse...s.com/products/).

There are also less permanent style structures, for example: https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html

It of course depends on the type of scope you plan to mount.  Big Dobs work better in ROR.  Pier motels are meant for equatorial mounted refractors.

Good luck.

If I was a photographer, I might opt for a dome.  However, I am strictly visual and wanted lots of room to move around my scope.  I have also come to appreciate being able to look up and see the entire sky from my roll-off roof.  

I was put off by the cost of the SkyShed, which wouldn't have fit my scope anyway.  I ended up spending more on my roll-off.  And a SkyShed can be assembled in an afternoon.  My roll-off took six months of Saturdays to build (it's a hundred miles away). 

Those are the big issues I considered when deciding between a dome and a roll-off.  I'm happy with my roll-off.

Something else to consider: if you're building at your house you could do something tiny: a motel-o-scope.  Or something a bit larger: a roll-away observatory, a building you roll away from your pier so it only has to be big enough to house your pier/mount/scope.

BTW, I meant to add that you are correct that a dome would be more portable than a ROR if you plan to move it to your next destination.

I plan on building some form of a small deck basically like a raft deck with just legs leveled on the ground or large flat pavers. It will be housing a Stellarvue SVX70 with QHY247C/ZWOASI294MC PRO; with a SkyWatcher evoguide50 with ASI290MM MINI, all mounted on an iOptron CEM40....a fairly small setup. Portability is key as im only going to be here at my parents about another 1.5-2 years, then i will be moving southwest(hopefully lol) So it needs to be able to be packed up and go in a U-Haul or back of my dads pick up/trailer...depending if he wants to drive his truck cross country to help me move. I bet he would, hes retired and hates New England (waiting for my mother to retire to move warmer location).

A skyshed or NexDome is ideal because I would be able to build a smaller footprint for a deck rather than a large shed in the middle of our backyard. i could build a small octagonal deck to place a round pod on, and i dont do any observing. in the future i would build a ROR when im older where i can have a couple piers mounted, one for visual and one for imaging. The motel-o-scope wouldnt be a horrible idea. But I prefer to have a dome for aesthetics.

#8 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

Sounds like you have a plan. waytogo.gif 

Good luck and Clear Skies!

#9 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

I pulled the trigger on the NexDome.

• JTank70 likes this

#10 huntersilver

huntersilver

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vacaville, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Congrats on the NexDome, what was the lead time for the dome?

#11 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

I pulled the trigger on the NexDome.

You will love having an observatory.

#12 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

Sadly, about 6-8 weeks and closer to 8 which puts me at October to build it. But thats fine as it gives me enough time to build a deck for it and think if i want to build another pier or just use the tripod. Small setup so it wont take up much room (CEM40) and Im on the average-short and skinny side of things so idk if i want to deal w that again, maybe over winter. Its only temporary while im still living w my parents while finid=shing my last few semesters at college. 

#13 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

It sounds like just a temporary pier would be best, if your plans are to move in a short period of time.  Unless your parents don't mind you leaving behind a pier.

Good luck with the dome, and post us some pictures as it goes up.

#14 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

It sounds like just a temporary pier would be best, if your plans are to move in a short period of time.  Unless your parents don't mind you leaving behind a pier.

Good luck with the dome, and post us some pictures as it goes up.

I will try and get a hyperlapse of setting everything up, if not then def pictures. Also i already had a permanent pier so i have a poured pad and everything. I had a CEM60 up but i sold that to go to a smaller widefield setup. 

#15 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

it will be going in this location

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail.gif

• eyeoftexas likes this

#16 huntersilver

huntersilver

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vacaville, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

I was also planning on a ROR, but my sense is we are going to downsize in the future, so I decided on a dome.

The problem was that I have a 14 inch dob, and a refractor with a pier.  So I want to be able to take something with me when we go.

Thinking about the NexDome or the Exploradome for the refactor, and some day a pod for the dob.  Seems like you made a great choice!

#17 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:34 PM

Those Exploradome's are a little too pricey for a college students wallet. Im baaaaaarely able to afford the NExDome. Thankfully I was able to get approved for a loan lol. 

#18 jfgout

jfgout

Vostok 1

• Loc: Starkville, MS

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:24 PM

If you are on a budget and plan on moving in ~2 years, I would recommend a small roll-off shed + simple pier. That's what I did, see here: https://www.cloudyni...se-observatory/

And there is no wait time. Just go to your local hardware store and start building!

OK, maybe take a minute to think about dimensions, ... But you could do it in a couple of weeks, working evenings and week-end (and maybe in just one week-end if you are good and work fast).

jf

#19 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:04 PM

Ordered a NexDome today as well. The current lead time is 8 to 9 weeks.

Edited by deonb, 11 August 2020 - 11:04 PM.

#20 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:20 AM

Ughhh thats so far out, better to do the work when its cooler out though, its bee in the 90's here all week...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, observatory, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics