•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Working out kinks with Svbony SV305

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Djharutunian

Djharutunian

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:38 PM

Is anyone using this camera? the magnification of this camera with prime focus is so much that its making it hard to focus. Is there a setting to decrease the magnification?

#2 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

Hello,

It will help other better assist you if you include the scope you are using it with and what type of targets you are trying to image. If those details are in your signature then I apologize as I cannot see signatures on my mobile device for some reason. 

When imaging in prime focus where no eyepiece is used and the camera is in it's place, the field of view is determined by the physical size of the imaging sensor and the focal length of your telescope. Take a look at https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/ to see how your telescope frames specific targets with your camera. Be sure to select imaging mode. The SV305 camera uses the IMX290 color CMOS sensor, which is the same sensor found in the ZWO ASI290MC, so you can select the ASI290 from the camera list and it will fill in the sensor details for you, with the same specs as your SV305. I attached a screen capture of how the IMX290 frames M20 using two popular scopes, the 80ED is the red box around M20 and the 8" SCT is the yellow box. As you can see, both boxes are small fields of view, with the FoV in the 8SCT being extremely tiny and over sampled, while the FoV in the 80ED is large enough to frame small DSO's, but still not ideal. For the IMX290 to be used for EAA you'll likely want a very short focal length in order to nicely frame small targets like planetary nebula or small galaxies. I hope that helps a bit. 

Regards.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200805_132629.jpg

#3 Djharutunian

Djharutunian

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:56 AM

Thanks i have an es 127 mm refractor I guess i was expecting the image to look like the dslr. I was caught off guard by how big the moon was on the camera. Know that I know what to expect i'll give it another shot

#4 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:52 AM

Thanks i have an es 127 mm refractor I guess i was expecting the image to look like the dslr. I was caught off guard by how big the moon was on the camera. Know that I know what to expect i'll give it another shot

No worries, if you enjoy the hobby then stick with it. I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning and I ordered thousands of $ of gear on impulse, a decision that I quickly had to rectify as I had purchased all the wrong gear. I am SO glad that I stuck with the hobby through all the frustration and tedium.

Personal opinion; the ES127 is quite heavy. You’ll need a very robust mount to adequately image with the ES127. Once you add a guide scope and possibly a filter wheel and focuser, I personally wouldn't mount that scope and kit on anything less than an iOptron CEM60 (or the like) for imaging.

Regards.

Edited by Cbaxter, 06 August 2020 - 05:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics