•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars August 4, C9.25

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

So I got a few pictures of Mars this morning. I don't think the contrast is good this year, but it's well placed for viewing between 4 and 5 AM right now.

These are based on the best 10% of 10,000 frames, with a Celestron 9.25 scope, 2X barlow, and ZWO 224 camera. The 150 % larger image shows a rift in the polar ice cap.

Jeff Phillips

Eugene, Oregon

Mars_8-4-2020_5-08_AM_67%2.jpg

Mars_8-4-2020_5-08_AM_15x.jpg

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., Kenny V. and 11 others like this

#2 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:07 PM

Hi Jeff. Yes, your image is showing the SPC rift known as the Mountains of Mitchel.  Nice catch.

It's likely seeing wasn't good for these, but I'd also suggest recording many more frames.  You can record up to 4 minute videos for Mars, and with this camera, should be able to get over 60 thousand frames in one video.  I have almost the same setup (I also have an ADC), and am finding contrast is pretty good this year.  Keep trying and you'll hit a day with very good seeing - you might be surprised at what you can capture with this scope and camera.

Ray

• miketheobscure likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics