•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wiring/cabling help requested

beginner dslr equipment mount planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elsmain

elsmain

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:38 PM

Hello, I am unable to make my equipment work with my software - primarily the guide scope and Mount wont work with PHD, Sharpcap,  and Stellarium.  I'm a newb at this and below is the wiring/cabling plan I am using - sans power cords.  Wondering if this is correct.

QHY 5II Series Guide Cam

Guide cam => Mount

Guide cam => Laptop

Canon 6D Main Cam

Main cam => Laptop

iOptron IEQ 30 Pro

DEC => RA/Main board

Mount => hand held

Mount RS232 => laptop

What am I missing here???  I can't get any of the programs to work correctly.  Any ideas regarding how I am wiring/cabling???

TIA for any help.

Eric

#2 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:13 AM

Take two and call me in the morning...

PHD Basics 1

PHD Basics 2

I had trouble getting started with PHD as well. These two video's got me running.

Then some tinkering with the settings to fine tune.

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:20 AM

You need a serial to USB converter for the mount connection -- get one that uses the FTDI chipset.  Then download the latest FTDI driver.

Make sure you've downloaded the ASCOM Platform setup and installed it, and the iOptron ASCOM driver and installed it.

Then the mount should be recognized by the iOptron Commander software (comes with the iOptron drivers) when you plug it in.  Once that's done, the other programs will see it as well.

Ditch the guide camea -> mount connection (ST4 cable).  Get the mount recognized through ASCOM, then in PHD2 for the mount connection choose the mount ASCOM driver, and "pulse guide."  One less cable to worry about, and much better guiding performance anyway.

For the guide camera, make sure the USB port you plug it into has enough power to power the camera, and change your Windows settings to NOT power-down USB ports to save energy.

The Canon should be a no-brainer, but you should load Canon's drivers onto your computer first.

#4 elsmain

elsmain

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:19 PM

Take two and call me in the morning...

PHD Basics 1

PHD Basics 2

I had trouble getting started with PHD as well. These two video's got me running.

Then some tinkering with the settings to fine tune.

These are awesome vids!!!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I think I will need to watch these many times to get it all...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dslr, equipment, mount, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics