•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LXD55 mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:18 PM

I've got the 5" refractor (and the mount, too), but it's old and beat up, and has some issues.  What would be a good mount and tripod for this?  The scope is about 15 lbs.  I'd really prefer goto capability, but maybe just tracking would be OK.

#2 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:40 PM

For used EQ mounts, the Meade LXD75 or Celestron ASGT (CG-5A) would be good for the Meade AR5 optical tube.

In new (or used) mounts:

• Orion Sky View Pro with tracking motor(s)
  • Orion Sky View Pro GoTo
  • Orion Sirius or Skywatcher HEQ5
  • Celestron AVX

Other beefier options are available with and without GoTo at increasing prices.

Edited by otocycle, 04 August 2020 - 09:58 PM.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#3 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:29 PM

For used EQ mounts, the Meade LXD75 or Celestron ASGT (CG-5A) would be good for the Meade AR5 optical tube.

In new (or used) mounts:

• Orion Sky View Pro with tracking motor(s)
  • Orion Sky View Pro GoTo
  • Orion Sirius or Skywatcher HEQ5
  • Celestron AVX

Other beefier options are available with and without GoTo at increasing prices.

Cool cool.gif

Are any of these quieter than others?  My LXD55 seems really loud, especially at 1am!

#4 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:42 PM

Cool cool.gif

Are any of these quieter than others?  My LXD55 seems really loud, especially at 1am!

Most anything is quieter than an LXD55...I have owned two of them.   In addition to the motor noise, the plastic housing would resonate too.  Had to set Autostar max slew speed to '8' to quiet things down.

The non-Goto / tracking mounts are quieter of course...no high speed slewing.   The Celestrons are quieter than the Meades in general unless belt modified.   The newer mounts are somewhat quieter than older mounts, causing less dog barking in the neighborhood !

Better mounts are going to belt drive that helps to quiet things a lot.

#5 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:58 PM

Most anything is quieter than an LXD55...I have owned two of them.   In addition to the motor noise, the plastic housing would resonate too.  Had to set Autostar max slew speed to '8' to quiet things down.

The non-Goto / tracking mounts are quieter of course...no high speed slewing.   The Celestrons are quieter than the Meades in general unless belt modified.   The newer mounts are somewhat quieter than older mounts, causing less dog barking in the neighborhood !

Better mounts are going to belt drive that helps to quiet things a lot.

Haha, thanks, that is good to know.  I'm glad it's not just me!  When I fired up that LXD mount the other night, I was worried the neighbors would wonder WTH was going on. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics