•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT8 or XT6 Plus?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:45 PM

Trying to not blow too much cash. Which one of these Orion scopes do you think is a better purchase? The standard XT8 or the XT6 Plus?

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:15 PM

Trying to not blow too much cash. Which one of these Orion scopes do you think is a better purchase? The standard XT8 or the XT6 Plus?

Hello,

Go for the XT8, Aperture wins out. And you can do better picking up better eyepieces and a Barlow. I would start out with a Celestron 8X24 Zoom and Barlow. From there you can see what power Eyepieces you like.( or this will be all the eyepieces you will need) Plus you will at some point, need a collimation tool like a Cheshire collimation eyepiece. ( not nessesary but very helpful) And I would also get a Telrad star finder.( makes finding sky objects as easy as it gets) And at least one filter a Moon filter for bright  Moon viewing. These few extra items are not that expensive. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 05 August 2020 - 07:14 AM.

• Sam M, zakry3323, sevenofnine and 2 others like this

#3 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:16 PM

I'd say the price bump for the XT8, is $70 well spent.  It will significantly outperform the XT6 plus.  Also, it has a two inch focuser, allowing you more flexibility in long focal length (low power) eyepieces.  The standard XT8 doesn't have an altitude clutch, but a welding magnet will help you balance the tube, if you find you need it.  You can replace the collimation bolts on the XT8 with thumbscrews (like the plus) for a couple bucks at the hardware store.

• otocycle and Atlantic Devil like this

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

Focal lengths are the same, tube length only differs by an inch, the base diameter is only a few inches wider for the bigger tube, and from what I can tell weight difference is about 6 or 7 lbs.  As long as the price difference or weight is not a deal killer, go for the the 8".  It has a 2" focuser and will be a far more capable scope.  Not that a 6" is a bad scope, but when the sizes are so similar why not go for the 8", unless that few pounds difference is important to the user (moving it around.) 

• Sam M and Atlantic Devil like this

#5 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:59 PM

XT 8  ,  and at f 5.9 its not so fast as too really require a 2 speed  focuser , JMO .    The regular crayford is  simple  to disassemble  and  easy too  work  on   when  needed .

• Atlantic Devil likes this

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

Heya,

More aperture and still reasonable in size/weight, they're similar in length if you look and the only real difference is diameter and a bit of weight. You gain a lot for your cash going to the 8 inch. Also, the focuser diameter size of 2" is a good thing in case you want to get a 2" eyepiece that is as wide as you can at some point.

Very best,

#7 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

Thank you all for the info. I’ll go with the 8. Unfortunately, the August availability has now been pushed back to September. bangbang.gif

#8 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:26 PM

Thank you all for the info. I’ll go with the 8. Unfortunately, the August availability has now been pushed back to September. bangbang.gif

This backlog of merchandise will be the norm for awhile. Between the Covid 19 shutdown and U.S. China politics. September is not that far away.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 05 August 2020 - 01:27 PM.

#9 thalatta

thalatta

Sputnik

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

For someone who has an XT6, would it be worth going to the trouble of selling it to get an XT8?  Would the jump from 6" to 8" be sufficiently noticeable to do that, for someone who uses it essentially in a backyard in a city, Bortle 7?

#10 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:23 AM

For someone who has an XT6, would it be worth going to the trouble of selling it to get an XT8?  Would the jump from 6" to 8" be sufficiently noticeable to do that, for someone who uses it essentially in a backyard in a city, Bortle 7?

Yes, but I would keep the XT6 and use it for a Solar scope or a grab and go scope.

DSO's will be brighter and more defined. The DSO that I use for this test is the Ring Nebula,

Messier 57 in  Lyra.With my 4" refractor it looks like a dim fuzzy star.With my C6 it looks like a larger fuzzy star with a darkened  center, with my C8 you can see the ring. For DSO's aperture wins out. For planetary not as much. For skies that light polluted as yours you might look into EAA. Check this out on the CN Forum on this topic.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP. Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 10 August 2020 - 01:31 AM.

• thalatta likes this

#11 thalatta

thalatta

Sputnik

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Jethro!

• Jethro7 likes this

#12 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:25 AM

Man, I found an XT6 for $240. It’s gettin real hard to hold out for a $400 XT8!

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:27 AM

Man, I found an XT6 for $240. It’s gettin real hard to hold out for a $400 XT8!

Buy it use it enjoy it.  After you've learned what it's all about sell it for $200 or $240 and get the XT8.

Greg N

• makeitso, rexowner, mrsjeff and 1 other like this

#14 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:33 AM

You'll be happier with the extra aperture in the long run.

#15 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:35 AM

Buy it use it enjoy it.  After you've learned what it's all about sell it for $200 or $240 and get the XT8.

Greg N

I’d love to buy it, but being that I have a Meade NG90 Mak, a Celestron Astromaster 70, and an Orion 4.5 StarBlast II, I don’t know if the XT6 will be too much in the same category and the XT8 would be the proper next step?

#16 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:29 AM

Greg N

Totally agree.  You will learn more by having the scope.

if they were the same lead time, aperture would rule, but you will see pretty much the same thing with the 6" and

life will move on.

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

Because of the number of scopes I don’t use my SW 6” dob all that much but when I want to I have it, for great, detailed views under Bortle 1 skize ! I had in the past 2 8” SW dobs but I sold them both when I moved into the refractor field and kept the 6” and not because of weight, bulkiness or anything like that, its views were more than enough ! Good Luck and Clear Skiys !

#18 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:27 AM

Also remember if you buy the 6” you will always wonder if you should have bought the 8” but if you buy the 8” you will always wonder if you should have bought a 10” but if you bought a 10” you ............ and so on and so on, lol ! That will never change, its always been there so you may as well start with the 6” and move up from there, it is probably inevitable ? Clear skize ahead !

#19 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

I’d love to buy it, but being that I have a Meade NG90 Mak, a Celestron Astromaster 70, and an Orion 4.5 StarBlast II, I don’t know if the XT6 will be too much in the same category and the XT8 would be the proper next step?

I'd have to ask... After owning the 2.8 inch refractor, 4.5 inch newt, and 3.5 inch mak, which do you prefer using?

Why not sell one of these to help fund the bigger scope and make your choice based less on economics and lead time? 

Myself....already owning two fairly substantially large telescopes by general non-CN public opinion, I go back and forth thinking I need a third telescope.

Half of me wants a small fast 3 to 4 inch medium/high quality refractor as a super fast grab an go.

The other half wants to drink the kool aid and get a small 8 inch f6 dob so I can examine the differences of the three main types of scopes in similar sized platforms.

The third half wants to split the difference with a semi-fast grab and go 6 inch f6 newt that could split time on any of a homemade dob mount or either my goto eq or manual alt/az mounts.

Edited by Echolight, 15 August 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#20 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:54 AM

Actually, I ALREADY started the 8 vs 10 debate! lol.gif

I like all three scopes for different reasons. My Celestron refractor is easy to move around and use quickly. The Meade Mak is the only computerized one that I have, and it impresses the chicks! Yes, I have chickens in my yard. And my Orion reflector has a really nice image and a cool looking EQ mount which ALSO impresses the... well, you know.

But since I already have 4.5”, I wonder if having a 6” would be that much different. My wife, of course says she’d like 10”.

• LDW47 likes this

#21 sickfish

sickfish

Cosmos

• Loc: Cape Coral Fl.

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

XT8, still my most used scope. Quick and easy set up.

Bring out the base then bring out the tube and your all set.

• Sam M and Echolight like this

#22 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:05 AM

I like the blue tube and the light weight so I'd like a XT8 Plus. But I'm not quite sure where the value is in paying over $600 for one of these.

The AD8 on the other hand has quite a bit of extras for $100 more than a standard 8 inch dob. Looks like a pretty decent widefield eyepiece, along with a fan, RACI finder, and the better bearing setup as far as I can tell. Still 10 pounds heavier than the XT8 Plus which hampers grab and go-ability some.

Edited by Echolight, 15 August 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Actually, I ALREADY started the 8 vs 10 debate! lol.gif

I like all three scopes for different reasons. My Celestron refractor is easy to move around and use quickly. The Meade Mak is the only computerized one that I have, and it impresses the chicks! Yes, I have chickens in my yard. And my Orion reflector has a really nice image and a cool looking EQ mount which ALSO impresses the... well, you know.

But since I already have 4.5”, I wonder if having a 6” would be that much different. My wife, of course says she’d like 10”.

LOL !

#24 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Also remember if you buy the 6” you will always wonder if you should have bought the 8” but if you buy the 8” you will always wonder if you should have bought a 10” but if you bought a 10” you ............ and so on and so on, lol ! That will never change, its always been there so you may as well start with the 6” and move up from there, it is probably inevitable ? Clear skize ahead !

This is what I call the "forever fallacy."  A 6" mainland dob is not a "forever" decision.  Once he's figured it out he can sell it and move on to 8" or maybe even will opt for a 10".  

The purpose of many scopes, and especially the inexpensive ones, is to lead the willing to their next scope.  

Relax, this is not a forever decision.

Greg N

• LDW47 likes this

#25 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

This is what I call the "forever fallacy."  A 6" mainland dob is not a "forever" decision.  Once he's figured it out he can sell it and move on to 8" or maybe even will opt for a 10".  

The purpose of many scopes, and especially the inexpensive ones, is to lead the willing to their next scope.  

Relax, this is not a forever decision.

Greg N

That is exactly what I meant when I said you might as well start with the 6”, it is a capable scope and the climb will start from there. I really don’t remember mentioning a forever scope but it might be a keeper after the upgrades down the road ?? As you said ‘relax’, lol !

Edited by LDW47, 15 August 2020 - 02:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics