•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vendor Catalogues. Does Anyone Else Also Miss Them?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:12 AM

It started when I was in the 8th grade. Somehow I got a copy of a "catalogue?" which promised 1001 things that you can get for free in the mail. And then I saw it in the magical book. Edmund Scientific Co, free catalogue just for requesting one in the mail. Not too long afterwards I came in the mail. The biggest, most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. When I say it was big I mean the amount of pages, the catalogue itself was only about 4.5" X 7", approx.

It was my portal to Astronomy nirvana. All those pictures and telescopes, eyepieces, cool things like weather balloons and even a balloon that when fully inflated looked just like a U.F.O. (flying saucer shape) and was big, 12-feet in diametre if I remember correctly.

From then on, every 6 months I sent off for a new Edmund's catalogue and any others that I could get by mail.

Now we have the Internet, thanks to D.A.R.P.A. and everyone has a website. But it's not the same. I miss having something tangible that I could hold and carry around and look at anytime that I wanted.

So...anyone else miss getting catalogues in the mail?

Please let me know. Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Tim Hager, jim kuhns, R Botero and 6 others like this

#2 4BINNI

4BINNI

Vostok 1

• Loc: Edwards Co. Il.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:23 AM

You bet I do!  And I sure wish I had kept all of those Edmund Scientific catalogues too!  Don't forget the Sears Christmas Wish Books.

#3 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:18 AM

Yep, I'm old enough to fondly remember actual printed, paper catalogs. It started when I was young, maybe 5 years old back in '66 with the Sears and Penney's Christmas catalogs. Pages and pages of beautiful photos of toys, toys, toys! Of course, later came the Edmund Scientific, Cave Optical, University Optics catalogs. And A. Jaegers Optics, the hard core optical catalog for the D.I.Y. ATM. Great days!

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:09 AM

Random flipping through catalogs was indeed a great source of ideas.  "I didn't know that existed" was pretty common, but at least there was some logical grouping of things together.  It was a little easier to find things.

The internet does help, but it is limited by the way it searches.  Pushing text terms and having it guess synonyms doesn't cut it sometimes.  Concept searching, rather than mere cold hard text searching, is still in its infancy.  When that takes off, I probably won't miss catalogs so much.  At the least, Amazon could update and improve its index.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:16 AM

I bought stuff from those catalogs...    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 59 1960s Edmund Focusers and Diagonal Holders.jpg

• cildarith, Tim Hager, jim kuhns and 1 other like this

#6 spereira

spereira

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Moving to Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media, for a better fit.

smp

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

My 4, 3” 3-ring binders filled with astro equipment catalogs dating back to 1978. It’s still fun to look through these from time to time.

And, of course, I remember the Sears catalogs from the 60s with those refractors. One of which (the least expensive model) showed up under our Christmas tree in 1965. 

Although I don’t have one (I think they are like $25-$50 on ebay), I remember studying every word and image and then ordering from the Estes 1966 model rocket catalog.

HERE is a link to a download of the 1966 Estes catalog. A fun read for those who remember it. 

For the reader, there’s just something more personal about a catalog than there is with a webpage. For the seller, I know the internet has many advantages.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0269.jpg

Edited by bobhen, 05 August 2020 - 08:00 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Tim Hager, jim kuhns and 4 others like this

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

They're never coming back:

--they cost too much to mail

--they cost too much to print

--they are often obsolete the day they're printed

--there is damage to the environment in producing and using the inks to print

--there is damage to the environment in making the paper

--there is damage to the environment in delivering the raw materials to the printer and delivering the catalog to your house.

--there is damage to the environment when the catalog is discarded in the trash.

--current generations don't peruse catalogs--they use the internet to search for things.

• Jon Isaacs and jerobe like this

#9 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:01 AM

Nope.

They are just landfill material in my opinion.

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:41 PM

I don’t believe anyone thinks catalogues are coming back. We all understand the Internet’s advantages.

However, it’s fun ( and maybe historically important) to read some old catalogs and see what has evolved, what has come and gone and what companies have changed or disappeared over the past 60 years, and even how items were once advertised. In our fleeting digital environment, that might be much harder to do 60-years from now.

A lot of the catalogues had more information in them than do many webpages.

Bob

• Codbear and csphere.d like this

#11 BrettG

BrettG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

I don’t believe anyone thinks catalogues are coming back. We all understand the Internet’s advantages.

Bob

Tell that to LL Bean who seem to insist on sending me 2 catalogs a month.  :)

• jim kuhns likes this

#12 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

Tell that to LL Bean who seem to insist on sending me 2 catalogs a month.  smile.gif

Come to think of it I just got a huge catalog from B&H Photo. But certainly, in "most cases", the internet has replaced catalogs.

Bob

• BrettG likes this

#13 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

Like fat catalogs? Buy something from Uline.

Edited by Alan French, 05 August 2020 - 05:56 PM.

• helpwanted and Observateur like this

#14 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:00 PM

My 4, 3” 3-ring binders filled with astro equipment catalogs dating back to 1978. It’s still fun to look through these from time to time.

And, of course, I remember the Sears catalogs from the 60s with those refractors. One of which (the least expensive model) showed up under our Christmas tree in 1965. 

Although I don’t have one (I think they are like $25-$50 on ebay), I remember studying every word and image and then ordering from the Estes 1966 model rocket catalog.

HERE is a link to a download of the 1966 Estes catalog. A fun read for those who remember it. 

For the reader, there’s just something more personal about a catalog than there is with a webpage. For the seller, I know the internet has many advantages.

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the drive down memory lane!

I wish I had the foresight to keep some of those old catalogs, not to mention my Edmund 4 1/4", homemade 10" dob and Criterion Dynascope (well...on second thought. lol.gif ).

Sam

• jim kuhns likes this

#15 BrettG

BrettG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

Come to think of it I just got a huge catalog from B&H Photo. But certainly, in "most cases", the internet has replaced catalogs.

Bob

I've only bought online from LL Bean - I get WHY they send catalogs - so they stay at the top of the brain - I just wish they didn't.  shrug.gif

#16 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

Like fat catalogs? Buy something from Uline.

Out of the blue, Uline sent me a catalog a couple of years ago. I kept the catalog and enjoy looking through it just to see their huge range of equipment and material handling stuff.  There are things in that catalog that I didn't even know were made.

#17 John Carlini

John Carlini

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:57 AM

Pre-Internet was an interesting time with mail order catalogs and longer waits for orders to process. I miss the excitement of getting and looking through catalogs but don't miss the delay and lack of email confirmation. Most astronomical vendors have phased out hard-copy catalogs. Orion, one of the last holdouts, stopped mailing catalogs in 2017. However, not all retail vendors have stopped sending catalogs. Ham radio companies are still sending them out to an older customer base, who probably prefer the hard copy...

#18 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

If you go to NEAF -- bring along a bag or two -- because most (all?) of the equipment maker exhibitors have nice glossy hand-outs describing their latest offerings.

#19 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:27 PM

They bring back memories from my astronomical youth back in the early eighties. I had the Celestron catalogue circa 1982 and was enthralled by the orange tubed scopes and the images that littered the pages. The catalogue is long gone but I can still vividly remember the images and pictures of the scopes and the dreams I had of owning one and seeing some of the things that were imaged through them. 

#20 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:46 PM

Skywatcher and Vixen catalogues still available in UK, certainly up until last year.

When I was at school I sent off for telescope manufacturers catalogues and as well as the great pictures of instruments they contained a lot of valuable information on choosing telescopes and accessories.  Fullerscopes, Charles Frank Ltd and Astronomical Equipment Ltd were three of my favourites. Even one man bands like Ron Irving were producing a catalogue. At some stage I sent for an early Questar catalogue after my father brought home a copy of Scientific American where the Q3.5 was illustrated.

Now if you want a paper copy it is easy enough to create your own custom catalogue printing web pages.  

I forgot to mention I started sending for catalogues back in the mid 1960's! 

Edited by ianatcn, 12 August 2020 - 04:17 PM.

#21 mwedel

mwedel

Goofing off

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:48 PM

I miss having Orion catalogs around. I imagine I made them at least some sales by taking old Orion catalogs to star parties and offering them to people who were really eager to buy a telescope. 

Mid-80s Celestron catalogs are straight-up time machines for me.

I know why catalogs have gone and aren't coming back (L.L Bean excepted...), but I do miss them.

#22 smithrrlyr

smithrrlyr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:34 AM

I do miss those printed catalogs, but what I may actually be missing is my vanished youth.  Getting a paper catalog today would not really be the same as when I received one at the age of fifteen (so many years ago!).  I can't imagine that I would today read and reread the catalog with the intensity that I did then.

• Starman1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics