•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polemaster Downloads and Programming Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Elk Grove CA / USA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:06 AM

Has anyone had difficulty with QHY downloads related to Polemaster?

I recently picked up a Polemaster for my CGEM, but could not get the camera operating program to operate. My lap top, a Dell, is using windows 10 plus I have a ton of memory also using the latest I7 processor. After reading QHY's instructions I followed them to the T, but still wasn't able to get the program to operate, and had nothing but issues deleting it off my comp. I figured I would try a second time but still no luck...

Do any images here who use Polemaster have any suggestions, tricks or otherwise advice?  It's kind of depressing when an operating program seems to have issues, when to me this is a no brainer, find the correct program, download it, open it and away you go...

Thanks! 

James 

#2 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:46 AM

Did you load the stable driver, and windows stable version? There is a latest beta, but that is actually an older beta and does not work.

Also there is now a QT version, don't know what it is about, maybe a developmental new version?

Anyway, the 1.3.2.8 version works for me, I run it as admin, and in widows 8 compatibility mode on my Dell laptop.

Some folks have issues with dropped frames (delay/freezing in the video) if so, try running a video on a continuous loop while doing the PA, and set your laptop to a higher power mode, not best battery life, while running the Polemaster software. I think the manufacturer also has a bios C-state setting that can be changed which should help the freezing video problem.

Also, just in case, try a different USB cable. 

Hope this helps.

Pete

Edited by Readerp, 05 August 2020 - 10:23 AM.

#3 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

There are two generations of the Polemaster application.

The original one is the 1.3.2.8 version that's listed in the downloads section of the QHY site. I think due to some changes in Windows, there's an issue with it. The app gets image data from the camera via the DirectShow system in Windows, and when a system is in reduced power mode, such as laptop on battery, DirectShow will suspend the device and this manifests in a black view in the application. A work-around for this is to either plug the laptop into AC power, OR play a video using Windows Media Player. The latter will kick DirectShow into a high power mode and images from the Polemaster camera will be able to be acquired.

The newer version of the app, referred to as the QT version due to the framework it is built on, is listed under the beta category on the same downloads page. It access the Polemaster camera differently and does not suffer from the low power issue that the original one has. The functionality is equivalent, just a slightly different look and feel from the original. 

• Etrsi_645 likes this

#4 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:16 PM

Did you load the stable driver, and windows stable version? There is a latest beta, but that is actually an older beta and does not work.

Also there is now a QT version, don't know what it is about, maybe a developmental new version?

Anyway, the 1.3.2.8 version works for me, I run it as admin, and in widows 8 compatibility mode on my Dell laptop.

Some folks have issues with dropped frames (delay/freezing in the video) if so, try running a video on a continuous loop while doing the PA, and set your laptop to a higher power mode, not best battery life, while running the Polemaster software. I think the manufacturer also has a bios C-state setting that can be changed which should help the freezing video problem.

Also, just in case, try a different USB cable. 

Hope this helps.

Pete

Hi  Pete, I will give that a whirl, it was odd, never had an issue with an operating programs i.e. astronomical, but okay...Thanks for getting back with me, will re-post once I do the new download! 

#5 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:19 PM

There are two generations of the Polemaster application.

The newer version of the app, referred to as the QT version due to the framework it is built on, is listed under the beta category on the same downloads page. It access the Polemaster camera differently and does not suffer from the low power issue that the original one has. The functionality is equivalent, just a slightly different look and feel from the original. 

QT as in the " Software download (WINDOWS) QT beta "? 

#6 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:50 PM

QT as in the " Software download (WINDOWS) QT beta "? 

Yes

#7 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:35 AM

Well my friends my comp won't allow me to run the QT version, windows 10 defender, what a joke, kinda out of options here, any suggestions??? 

#8 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

If you click the "More Info" link on the warning window, you will then get a "Run Anyway" button at the bottom which will allow you to run the installer.

#9 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:20 AM

I wished that was the case, windows defender wouldn't give me that option, BUT I finally got it to download after reading similar issues by other imagers...all worked well but now the QHY operating system doesn't recognize the camera, it's not my usb ports my comp was just redone ans gone over, man what a hassle for a simply camera install :-(     

#10 RandomJoe

RandomJoe

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM

In what way does the software "not work"?  Will it just not connect to the camera?  I am running 1.3.2.8 on Win 10 and it works fine but I found that I have to use only certain ports of my mount's USB hub.  If I plug the Polemaster in to one of the first three ports on the hub when I try to connect in the software it locks hard - and can be a real PITA to kill.  If I plug it in to one of the last four ports on the hub it works just fine!

I recently bought an Intel NUC to install directly on my main mount, took the opportunity to download all the latest software for everything I run.  When I tried to get the Polemaster software (I downloaded everything using Safari / MacOS on my main machine, not the mount computer) I got a virus warning just visiting the page.

#11 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

I wished that was the case, windows defender wouldn't give me that option, BUT I finally got it to download after reading similar issues by other imagers...all worked well but now the QHY operating system doesn't recognize the camera, it's not my usb ports my comp was just redone ans gone over, man what a hassle for a simply camera install :-(     

Be sure that you have also installed the USB driver.

#12 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

USB driver? I'm laughing, I downloaded the QT version, there's a USB driver as well?  

#13 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

Disregard my stupidity, programs works, camera works, latest driver installed, all good in the Edwards dome LOL

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics