•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choosing a solar filter and a few others

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StargazerPrivateer

StargazerPrivateer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:00 AM

Hey guys I apologize if this has already been discussed quite at length but I was wondering what's a good solar filter for my Celestron C6? Something with a good ratio of quality/cost. Mid-range cost I think is OK, I see so many online and I'm a beginner so my knowledge is limited.

I have a Moon filter that is green but I saw some posts that said color neutral is better and I agree. If you have any suggestions for that.

I also have a nebula filter that changes the color as well.

I use a meade wide angle eyepiece and barlow lens, I also have the plossl the celestron came with. 

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you very much

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

Some years back  upcoming eclipse and a transit of Venus motived me to buy a solar filter.  A lot of people had the same idea and supplies were tight. So I made filters using very inexpensive Seymore solar film. Actually worked well for the transit and for sun spots. The image is yellow to red. The film does not work well for surface features, Seymour still sells the film and it is still inexpensive. Currently sun spots are sparse and small and the next Venus transit won't be until 2125. 

I do not recommend this film. They have a more expensive material but I have no information about it.

Baader film gets good reviews. You can also find it in filters sold under other brand names, such as Kendrick. You can't go wrong with these film filters.

I shied away from glass filters just because I am fairly certain that they won't improve if dropped.

• StargazerPrivateer likes this

#3 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

The Baader solar film white-light filters perform the best IMO. You will see a natural colored white sun, and if your scope is capable you will see some granulation. Astro-Zap makes a very nice frame with a Baader solar filter:

https://www.highpoin...lescopes-az1014

Additionally, you can buy the film and make your own cell:

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B002SYD2EM

#4 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

I've had excellent views with Seymour Solar Helios film filters. I find them to be as good as the Baader but with a more pleasing yellow-orange color cast.

Edited by barbie, 05 August 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#5 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

I have Baader filters for several scopes. The material shows solar granulation in my C90. For visual viewing, a Hershel wedge is better, but only by a very little, and the Baader is much cheaper. You can purchase sheets of the material to mount it yourself, or you can buy a complete filter with the correct mounting diameter. I would contact someone like agenaastro.com and ask which Astrosolar filter would fit your scope (the C6), or simply measure the outer diameter of the front of your tube, and purchase the one with the correct "clamping range."

Astronomics, and Highpoint Scientific are also well thought of. They won't steer you wrong.

• StargazerPrivateer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics