•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saving Handbox ROM's?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JD4x4

JD4x4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:28 AM

I just got a new LX65 with a 127 MAK and I'm pretty sure it's an old stock unit that someone found in a corner of their warehouse (only one anywhere a week or 2 ago, no white dot on battery compartment & volt check says it's got reversed aux ports, not the latest revision Owners Manual, and ..
boot up screen says © 12 Meade 2013 Bootloader v3.1a, and © 18 497EP A4S2 ** Audiostar **)

I've installed the AutoStar Suite from the Meade site and then the latest AU v6.1 also from the Meade site (in that order because the web's Suite install (v5.01) doesn't have any Updater bundled with it). I've had the AU correctly read my handbox model only one time as "Audiostar-Eng/Spa" and all the rest as "495" but always reads the version correctly as "A4S2". From what I read here & on the StarPatch site my rom should be A4S4 but before I change anything I'd really like to have a backup of my current A4S2 rom but I don't see a copy of it archived anywhere and the updater & web site download is still broken when it comes to rom updates.

So .. Is there any way to back up what's currently in my handbox?

(I still haven't had a 1st look through this scope so the optics/views better be pretty spectacular if I'm not going to be sorry I went with Meade rather than another platform undecided.gif )

<addendum> In prep for using StarPatch I d/l'ed the rom & spf files (haven't run it yet until I confirm that I have no current rom backup option) and just for giggles put the rom file into the updater folder with all the other ones. When running the AU Upgrade Autostar Software Now function/button, the A4S4 rom shows up as an option-  would there be any issues or advantage to updating the rom that way rather than via StarPatch? I'm not sure if I need to patch the handset so advice on applying the patch is appreciated as well! Thanks again for any help in calming me down about all of this for when I actually get it outside & under the skies, lol.
Thanx in advance any software geeks. grin.gif

Edited by JD4x4, 05 August 2020 - 11:59 AM.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Aurora

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:04 PM

Gday JD4x4

There are ways to get copies of A4S2 if you really want it, but there is no real point.

As to downloading A4S4 via StarPatch, as you noted, placing it in the ASU directory

also makes it available for loading.

StarPatch is a much more robust loader than ASU, incl proper logging and goes a bit faster.

It also allows you to dynamically patch the firmware.

As to patching, i always suggest doing it, as it fixes some problems and adds enhancements.

Read through the patch file notes ( in the StarPatch screen ) to see what it does,

then decide if any is useful to you.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• JD4x4 likes this

#3 JD4x4

JD4x4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Thank you Andrew. If A4S4 is indeed an updated rom for my 497EP Audiostar A4S2 then I won't worry too much about having a backup.

I was thrown off just a bit because I always see reference to 497, 497EP, and Audiostar but don't think I've ever seen 497EP Audiostar both together without either a "," or a "/", lol.

And I also downloaded & ran your program just to see what it would tell me and the first thing that pops up is that my HBX isn't patched and that info & features would be limited without it, so since it all sounds like it would do no harm I guess I'll use StarPatch to do the rom upgrade and the patch.

Thanks again, but out of curiosity, can you point me to where I can find info on getting a copy of the A4S2 rom? (I'm a bit obsessive about keeping a "trail" of firmware backups for electronics in general). tongue2.gif 

Edited by JD4x4, 05 August 2020 - 10:29 PM.

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Aurora

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:39 PM

Gday JD4x4

I always see reference to 497, 497EP, and Audiostar

The 495/497 were the original full blown handboxes and used a motorola chip

The 497EP was a short lived new generation handbox with a Toshiba chipset

The Audiostar is a 497EP that also has an integrated soundcard daughterboard.

The 497 firmwares start with "2", "3" or "4"

The 497EP firmwares start with "5"

The Audiostars start with "A"

And I also downloaded & ran your program just to see what it would tell me and the first thing that pops up is that my HBX isn't patched and that info & features would be limited without it,

Correct. In order to read the stored EEProm settings requires download mode.

The patches include a peek and poke function, which means lots of extra data can be read and written

without needing download mode.

Thanks again, but out of curiosity, can you point me to where I can find info on getting a copy of the A4S2 rom?

There used to be copies saved on the Yahoo groups and not sure if they got copied over.

If not, i can get you a copy, but its a waste of storage space :-)

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• JD4x4 likes this

#5 JD4x4

JD4x4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:45 PM

I owe you a Fosters!  Thank You.

bow.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics