•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

.65x apex reducer compatibility

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

Does anyone know if the apex reducer is compatible with the Sharpstar 76 EDPH? 

I have the full frame f4.5 reducer but going to f3.6 on an aps-c is extremely tempting.

Edited by calypsob, 05 August 2020 - 11:48 AM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

The short version of it (the L version seems to be backorder).

https://starizona.co...c-acf-telecopes

Edited by Tapio, 05 August 2020 - 12:18 PM.

#3 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:22 PM

Theoretically should work, but F3.6 is very fast. I can't say for sure but I'm not sure how we'll the stars will be managed. After all, it's a cheap scope.

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

Theoretically should work, but F3.6 is very fast. I can't say for sure but I'm not sure how we'll the stars will be managed. After all, it's a cheap scope.

Man i hope one day im ballin like you and $900 is cheap.

realistically though i dont know if it will fit in the ota the way the stock reducer does. I guess i need to compare threads.

#5 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:40 AM

Man i hope one day im ballin like you and $900 is cheap.

realistically though i dont know if it will fit in the ota the way the stock reducer does. I guess i need to compare threads.

Oh I am a very poor student, no big money here trust me :D but when it comes to really fast and high quality refractors, usually you pay the equivalent of a 18yo's first car...

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

Oh I am a very poor student, no big money here trust me :D but when it comes to really fast and high quality refractors, usually you pay the equivalent of a 18yo's first car...

Yea im just busting your chops. I do wish I had known the 94mm version was on the way for a bit more FL. At f3.6 the 76 mm will just be a glorified spacecat. It is a native f5.5 so if the threads can be matched I think I will be in business

#7 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:43 AM

Yea im just busting your chops. I do wish I had known the 94mm version was on the way for a bit more FL. At f3.6 the 76 mm will just be a glorified spacecat. It is a native f5.5 so if the threads can be matched I think I will be in business

Yes the 94 version seems very promising indeed! I had originally planned to sell my soul for an esprit 100, but if reviews turn out fine I'll be on the lookout for the 94.

I somewhat doubt the performance with a full frame sensor though.

#8 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

Yes the 94 version seems very promising indeed! I had originally planned to sell my soul for an esprit 100, but if reviews turn out fine I'll be on the lookout for the 94.

I somewhat doubt the performance with a full frame sensor though.

I can share some full frame data from my a7riii
Reduced to f4.5 with the 76mm. I have not gotten spacing right quite yet but its close

Edited by calypsob, 06 August 2020 - 01:18 PM.

• Ethanwyh likes this

#9 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:02 PM

I have just ordered a 94EDPH, I’m also having some doubts about backfocus details. How far was it for you to get okay stars?

Edited by Ethanwyh, 06 August 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

I have just ordered a 94EDPH, I’m also having some doubts about backfocus details. How far was it for you to get okay stars?

Well on full frame sony it has an 18.5mm flange.
So I had to use spacers to achieve 55mm. I bought a variable 2” spacer made by svbony. It lets me adjust the distance. Since I have 3 scopes and 2 cameras I have to measure and change backfocus alot. Im going to replace the svbony with this or something shorter https://www.modernas...elical-focuser/ because it has a scale on it. Right now I need to use vernier calipers everytime I change cameras or scopes.

Imo the 94edph will be even better than the 76 because it is further color corrected. If you dont have the f4.5 reducer correcter or a normal field flattener, your star field will look terrible at f5.5. Also the zwo eaf pairs very nicely to this scope, the stock focuser is awesome.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics