•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX mount help.

astrophotography beginner ccd equipment reflector refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

So, I have an advanced VX mount. I'm looking for a telescope for this mount that will work for AP. My camera (SBIG ST-2000XM) works well from 800mm focal length-1800mm (while I won't need that much focal length, yet...). I'm looking for a telescope that will work well with this mount (30lbs capacity or 13.6kg), I do have a budget ($400-$1200) for a scope. Any advice helps. Refractors, reflectors, Cassegrains. Doesn't matter so long it will work with an additional 3-4lbs (1.3-1.8kg) of gear. My main DSOs will be galaxies, nebula and star clusters. I don't plan to do a lot of planetary or terrestrial stuff or visual (although it will be needed to center targets). Any help to point me in the right direction helps.

Thanks,

Gabe

Edited by ArandomPilot, 05 August 2020 - 03:41 PM.

#2 zxx

zxx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

So, I have an advanced VX mount. I'm looking for a telescope for this mount that will work for AP. My camera (SBIG ST-2000XM) works well from 800mm focal length-1800mm (while I won't need that much focal length, yet...). I'm looking for a telescope that will work well with this mount (30lbs capacity or 13.6kg), I do have a budget ($400-$1200) for a scope. Any advice helps. Refractors, reflectors, Cassegrains. Doesn't matter so long it will work with an additional 3-4lbs (1.3-1.8kg) of gear. My main DSOs will be galaxies, nebula and star clusters. I don't plan to do a lot of planetary or terrestrial stuff or visual (although it will be needed to center targets). Any help to point me in the right direction helps.

Thanks,

Gabe

80mm ED/APO refractor would be a good choice IMO

#3 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

I have a AVX mount.....I have used it with a 80mm as suggested above and  a 115 EDT. 

I also have a AT6RC and I suspect it would work well with that, except that the focal length is getting a bit long.

I am thinking about putting a 8f4newt or 8SCT on it, but haven't done it.

A friend used his AVX with a 9.25 Celestron Edge and Hyperstar.  It worked.

Lots of choices but I would start with that 80mm as suggested.  It would be a scope you keep as you buy others in the future.

#4 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:18 PM

So, I have an advanced VX mount.   (30lbs capacity or 13.6kg),

That rating is for visual. The rule of thumb is half that for AP.

x2 on an 80mm APO refractor.

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

An 80mm or smaller (triplet preferably) is the way to go.  There are some nice wide-field scopes (i.e., typically less than 80mm) out there from companies like William Optics that are well thought of and very reasonably priced that would work well on this mount.  You are going to have a hard time going deep for things like galaxies with the AVX.  Not impossible, but you will need to prepare yourself for struggling and losing subs.  As mentioned, one of the small RC scopes might be a good way to go for a longer focal length.  Not great scopes, but they are comparatively light weight for their aperture.  Also, this is a guided imaging mount, particularly with a CCD and/or a longer focal length.  You would be better off getting a new CMOS camera to work with since you would need much shorter exposures then.

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

My choice was, and remains, an Orion ED80T CF for my AVX. Which is a Triplet AP refractor telescope. 5.5 pounds if I remember correctly.

You are going to add a lot to that, I added 7.7 pounds to mine.

I can't fault that my AVX worked very well, and I learned a lot with it.

But it's electronic failures were it's death knell.

But the telescope is a good DSO hunting scope, and has brought me many, many great images. Over many, many clear Southern California nights.

It's light, but very stable and strong with the carbon fiber construction.

Carbon fiber is the best choice for AP as well, because it has the best thermal characteristics to hold the focus.

In the end, with all the foo-rah added, it came to 13.2 pounds from the clamp up. Which is nice and light for the AVX.

My AVX died it's final death last Nov (2019), and has since been replaced with a Losmandy GM811G HD mount.

At that time I replaced my Vixen style bar, with a Losmandy D-style bar and added a couple of pounds to my payload. Now ~15 pounds, 4 ounces. But on a 50 pound rated mount.

There are a lot of additional things to add in to the mix. A Guide Scope and Camera, Main Camera, Sighting apparatus (Red Dot for primary aiming), Adapticators, Filter wheels or such, and I have a laser pointer to show the kids where the telescope is pointed. (And boy, how that snaps their attention to what we are doin.)

But like mentioned, for the Asian mounts the Rule of Thumb is to try and keep your Photographic Load at or below 50% of the mounts advertised weight rating.

For DSO's like you are after, the smaller refractors are ideal. And they are your best telescopes for the light AVX mount.

We all start somewhere, and I started right there where you are. I spent over 4 months of intensive study on how to become a DSO imager. 5 years later here I is.... wink.gif

I'm way down the Black Hole and accelerating. Once you are in, and you are already in, you'll want to continue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, ccd, equipment, reflector, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics