•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 2x vs Orion Shorty 2x Barlow

accessories equipment eyepieces Orion
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

I use Orion Shorty 2x Barlows, I have several that I received for free over the years. I can tell there is a significant difference in quality from a cheap freebie vs an Orion Shorty.

Is the difference between an Orion Shorty and a basic Tele Vue 2x worth the $75 difference in price? Is there a difference at all besides the QC and branding?

I realize value is relative to each person but for the sake of simplicity the questions are posed for general opinions.

*edit Let me make this a better question. Is there another Barlow that is better at a similar or cheaper price point? I personally dont particularly love using a Barlow but I do like doubling my EP set. So it's ultimately worth the compromise. But I'd like to hear any suggestions based on the premise that I use Orion Shorty 2x barlows and find them to be suitable. I have not used another Barlow and I'm wondering if this is a scenario where the difference in quality is marginal, or if it's like using a Nagler vs Orion Expanse type difference. Just looking for a minor upgrade.

Thank you folks!

-Russ

Edited by SciGlass, 05 August 2020 - 07:24 PM.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

I would say no for most users. I've used and still have many barlows, including TV, and the cheaper shorty's work just as well IMO. My criteria is on-axis sharpness. I believe you can improve the internal baffling on the Orion Shorty, if you are using it for lunar viewing.

• SciGlass likes this

#3 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:45 AM

I would say no for most users. I've used and still have many barlows, including TV, and the cheaper shorty's work just as well IMO. My criteria is on-axis sharpness. I believe you can improve the internal baffling on the Orion Shorty, if you are using it for lunar viewing.

Steve I want to personally thank you for your many posts that have helped me for a very long time to make decisions
  • SteveG likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:03 AM

Russ:

Interesting question.. 

I have a number of Barlows including a Celestron Ultima.  But my two favorite Barlows are the TeleVue 1.25 inch 2X Barlow and the Celestron Shorty 2X which is the same as Orion Shorty.  

- When I am looking for the best possible views of a planet or double star, I choose the TeleVue.  The main thing is that it has less scattered light, the image is slightly more contrasty.  It is also parfocal in most cases so that's an advantage, particularly when used with a Paracorr, it means the Paracorr setting is unchanged. And I see the TeleVue 2X as a medium length Barlow, it works better than the shorty with longer focal length eyepieces. 

- I still like the Shorty and when I am viewing from my backyard, it's gets a lot of use.  I like the fact that I can unscrew the optics and screw them to the eyepiece and have a ~1.5x Barlow.  It's not as clean as the TeleVue but it still gives good views, I generally only Barlow short focal length eyepieces.  

I think it all depends on your other eyepieces, your scopes, your budget.  The 2X TeleVue Barlow makes sense for use with the 5mm and 3.5mm T-6 Naglers and the like.  The 2X Shorty seems to fit nicely with eyepieces like the TMB Planetary's and Paradigms.  

Jon

• SteveG and SciGlass like this

#5 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:42 PM

I had an Orion shorty barlow and it would come to focuser with my F6 80 mm Orion express 80.  I then gave it away and replaced it with an Astro tech 2 inch ed barlow.  This barlow is much bigger but comes to focus.  To me the Astro tech seems as good or better than the Orion shorty.

• SciGlass likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, eyepieces, Orion

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics