•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM40G now on iOptron site

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

I'm pretty sure I was looking at their site earlier today and did not see it but they now have the CEM40G listed with shipping within 24-48hrs.  

• The CEM40G still has USB 2 and not USB 3 like the CEM70G.  
  • Mount head weight increased from 15.8lb on CEM40 to 17.5lb on CEM40G.
  • Counter weight shaft is 28X280mm on the CEM40G compared to 20X410mm CEM40
  • 11lb counter weight included instead of 10lb
  • 8" saddle instead of 5" which now matches what is on the CEM 60/70

Edited by dkb, 06 August 2020 - 12:11 AM.

#2 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:10 AM

They also added a comparison table to see the differences between the 3 versions of CEM40 (although I see they missed difference in the mount weight): https://www.ioptron....cComparison.pdf

Edit: I notified iOptron support and see they already updated the table with the correct mount weight for the CEM40G.  The one attached to this message is the old version.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7400_CEM40_SpecComparison.png

Edited by dkb, 06 August 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#3 jprideaux

jprideaux

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:33 PM

I’ve been interested in the cem40g but one thing holding me back is a desire to use the asiAir-pro and that won’t work (as I understand it) with the non-asi guide-camera built into the saddle. If I got the cem40g, I would need to load up alternative software on a different mini-computer.

#4 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

I was going to get the CEM40G, but to your point, the ASIAIR does not support it and not supported for MacOS.  So I dropped the G and got the CEM40.i will use my ASI290 planetary camera to guide.  Now I can run ASIAIR or Mac.  yay!

#5 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

I was going to get the CEM40G, but to your point, the ASIAIR does not support it and not supported for MacOS.  So I dropped the G and got the CEM40.i will use my ASI290 planetary camera to guide.  Now I can run ASIAIR or Mac.  yay!

I believe the iGuider should work on Mac since they have ASCOM driver and the manual shows using PHD2 to interface with it.  Someone correct me if I am wrong here that I shouldn't expect it to work with a Mac.  It is the iPolar that seems to be the bigger issue wink.gif I did go ahead and place order for the CEM40G so I guess I will find out..

#6 RogeZ

RogeZ

Apollo

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

Dkb:

Could you post your experience if the mount worked well with the ASI AIRPro? Like gotos, PA, PS, etc? Thanks

#7 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

Could you post your experience if the mount worked well with the ASI AIRPro? Like gotos, PA, PS, etc? Thanks

I'll have a Raspberry Pi (which ASIAIR PRO is based on) and Mac.. so if I can get everything working with those two it would be amazing.

#8 stnagy

stnagy

Lift Off

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:40 PM

I believe the iGuider should work on Mac since they have ASCOM driver and the manual shows using PHD2 to interface with it.  Someone correct me if I am wrong here that I shouldn't expect it to work with a Mac.  It is the iPolar that seems to be the bigger issue wink.gif I did go ahead and place order for the CEM40G so I guess I will find out..

ASCOM requires .NET so (I am pretty sure) it is only available for Windows. If there is an INDI driver then iGuider should be able to interface with Mac. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics