•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starizona APEX on SW Evostar 120ED

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 number9

number9

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:01 AM

I'm thinking about picking up a focal reducer for the Skywatcher Evostar 120ED APO f/7.5

The options i'm looking at are:

Sky-Watcher 0.85X Reducer/Corrector for Pro 120ED Telescope - $250

Starizona APEX .65x focal reducer - $450

Orion 0.8x Focal Reducer for Refractor Telescopes - $139

Skywatcher's own reducer/corrector would certainly work, but the Starzona's .65x intrigues me.

I've seen it perform well on the Skywatcher Esprit 120ED Triplet, but would it also work on the 120ED APO doublet? I'm totally new to refractors, and would appreciate any advice.

Looking to do some deep space astrophotography.

Edited by number9, 06 August 2020 - 01:55 PM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:25 AM

Regarding Apex - the L version of Apex is only available this August so nobody has experience of it ( your Evostar needs L version).

But like I said in another of the same question - why would it not work ?

You could always check Starizona if in doubt.

#3 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:39 AM

For chips smaller than APSc the Apex will work well on a variety of refractors. I had one and used it on the 3 scopes in my signature and it was pretty good, but stars towards the edge of my APSc chip looked astigmatic. I didn't work hard to fine tune the chip to reducer distance though.

I've decided to stick with full frame reducers where it's easy to get the whole APSc frame looking good. I don't even have to use flats since I'm picking the middle out of the image circle. 

• number9 likes this

#4 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:47 AM

ED APO and doublet in the same sentence never gets me excited. I would refrain from reducing a doublet that far, FPL53 or not, you'll have CA. I'd get a 0.8x reducer max for any doublet. 

• number9 likes this

#5 Tapio

Tapio

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:30 AM

It could work in a slow doubles.
  • number9 likes this

#6 number9

number9

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I might just go for a Skywatcher Esprit 100ED Triplet instead for a larger stock aperture. Would the Starzona Apex be a good fit for this instead?

That should cover deep sky astrophotography.

Now, inversely, to do some solar system imaging, would barlows be a good option on the triplet to increase focal range?

Edited by number9, 06 August 2020 - 04:45 PM.

#7 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I might just go for a Skywatcher Esprit 100ED Triplet instead for a larger stock aperture. Would the Starzona Apex be a good fit for this instead?

That should cover deep sky astrophotography.

As far as I know, the Apex was designed specifically for the Esprit line, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Also keep in mind that the Esprit is designed for astrophotography, it is fantastic for DSO and it comes with a flattener included in the box (only flattener, not reducer), so you may not need the Apex. At least not right away.

Edited by Marcelofig, 06 August 2020 - 07:09 PM.

• number9 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics