•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie q

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 symbiosis

symbiosis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:20 AM

What's the best observing guide for the moon? Preferably something spiral bound, that's easy to use at the scope.

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Hello,

A very basic Moon guide that meets your requirement of a spiral bound book can be found in the latest edition of “Turn Left at Orion”.

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,173&sr=8-2

People have their favorite Moon guides and you may find a variety of opinions on this. Mine is Anton Rukl’s “Atlas of the Moon”. While it is not spiral bound and the pages are not dew proof, it’s still excellent for use at the scope. 

A couple versions:

in printhttps://www.google.c...l:1,prmr:1,cs:1

out of printhttps://www.bhphotov...AyAAEgJTOPD_BwE

My 2 cents-

Kevin

#3 symbiosis

symbiosis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:08 AM

Thanks! By "newbie," I meant mostly new to a serious study of the moon -- so, I've had "Turn Left ..." for years. I have been on again, off again in this avocation, but am thinking with my (now 20+ year old) 8" f/7 homemade Dob and the pandemic, maybe now is the time to look more carefully at something that is easily accessible from my back yard. Hoping to start some sort of methodical study.

• stargazer1 and Knasal like this

#4 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

I'm with Kevin with regards to Antonin Rukl's Atlas of the Moon. 

I always have with me in the back garden while I'm observing the Moon. 

Maybe there are probably better publications available.

But I'm not fussed.  

Best regards, 

Aubrey.  

#5 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

What's the best observing guide for the moon? Preferably something spiral bound, that's easy to use at the scope.

The best guide for observing the moon for me has been the Sky Safari app.  It has very high resolution images of the moon.  You can zoom in close and touch a feature on the moon and it will label if for you.  You can also use the apps search feature to search for just about any feature on the moon and it will give you information on that feature, then you can press the center object button and it will show you it on the moon.

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:54 PM

The Sky and Telescope Field Map of the Moon is really useful, good size, and laminated.  It folds into quadrants with some overlap.  Rukl’s is really nice but overpriced and the individual charts are pretty small relative to the page area without much overlap.

https://www.shopatsk...map-of-the-moon

Dave

• flt158 likes this

#7 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

If you can bring a laptop out to your observing place, the software called Virtual Moon Atlas will give you tons of info of the kind you seek.

#8 Orion92

Orion92

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE Florida

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

To echo what others have already said, Rukl's Atlas of the Moon and Sky and Telescope's Field Map of the Moon are both fantastic. I typically bring the Field Map out at night to use at the telescope and leave my Rukl inside for reference on objects not labeled on the map or I just want more information on. Rukl's atlas new will cost in excess of $80 to $100. I bought one off Amazon in used condition that was actually in very good shape for $25. There are some parts are highlighted here and there but no big deal. 

If you have not already completed it, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Astronomical League's Lunar 1 program. I am a novice lunar observer and this has been a perfect way for me to acquaint myself with the prominent lunar features. All you need for this program is a basic map of the Moon. The Sky and Telescope map is perfect for this. I bring it out along with my check sheet each night. 

Kyle

• flt158 likes this

#9 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

"If you have not already completed it, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Astronomical League's Lunar 1 program. I am a novice lunar observer and this has been a perfect way for me to acquaint myself with the prominent lunar features."

I totally agree!!

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics