•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 6 FOV box suddenly changes behavior

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:58 AM

For as long as I can remember (since SS3 on an iPad 2) when the FOV box's "tilt" (= Observe -> Scope Display -> Field Rotation Angle) was set to 0*, it aligned itself with the RA/Dec coordinate lines. For DSO's that's great. I have occasionally wished, however, that the tilt could be fixed relative to the horizon and stay aligned that way as you moved the sky  around--that would allow better planning for nightscape photos.

Tonight my wish came true. Suddenly, the FOV tilt is fixed relative to the horizon, and as you move the sky around, the "NESW" indicators spin around the edges of the FOV box, instead of the usual thing of the FOV box itself spinning around to stay aligned with RA/Dec and the NESW indicators staying aligned with the box. The problem is, I don't know what I did to get the changed behavior.

Both viewpoints are handy to have but I don't know of any way to switch behaviors. I had asked for the alternate behavior as an enhancement at one time but was officially told no one else had asked for it so it wasn't going to change. Anyone here know what I did (inadvertently) to switch behaviors? Am I able to switch back to the usual behavior? If it's really switchable, how?

Thanks.

Edit: The map is set up to show the equatorial grid: Grid & Reference -> Show Grid with Equatorial Coordinates. The horizon is visible as a translucent area. It's set up this way 99% of the time and I haven't changed it recently.

Edited by starblue, 06 August 2020 - 03:05 AM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:26 AM

Anyone here know what I did (inadvertently) to switch behaviors? Am I able to switch back to the usual behavior? If it's really switchable, how?

If you go into Setting => Coordinates , I think you will find you have chosen Horizontal Coordinates rather than Equatorial Coordinates.

To go back to what you had before just choose Equatorial coordinates.

Jon

#3 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:21 AM

Isn't Settings -> Coordinates the same as the left-hand side box you get by tapping the upper left hand corner? I see what you mean when one sees the FOV box on the sky map in its planetarium mode and that's unchanged. What I'm referring to is when you're in the Field Rotation screen; setting the value to zero used to set the box aligned with RA/Dec. Now it no longer does. The FR screen is unaffected by Horizon vs. Equatorial coordinates to my knowledge. I use this screen all the time for my AP planning. Since I like most of my photos to be aligned to celestial directions, a quick swipe to 0 did the job. It no longer does.

I've been trying to convince myself I'm just not remembering this correctly, but I've used the FR screen hundreds of times before. When I did it this time it instantly felt wrong and it took a moment to figure out what. I don't recall doing any "unusual" operations recently (I've spent the past month planning comet photos), except this evening I looked at the Calendar and its sky views--I wonder if that has somehow screwed around with the FR screen. Hmmm...

Edit: SOLUTION!!!  I restarted SS6 and the FR screen behavior is back to normal: setting the value to zero sets the FOV box orthogonal to RA/Dec. Then I went into the Calendar. Just looking at an entry there does nothing, but if I then "View" a map, it *does indeed* change the FR screen behind the scenes so that zero now sets the box parallel to the horizon. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to get back again without terminating and restarting SS6. So they have implemented the capability to do both (i.e. keep the FOV box fixed relative to the horizon or to RA/Dec) but haven't made it available to the user. I wish they would.

Edited by starblue, 06 August 2020 - 05:35 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:53 AM

I am glad you got it figured out. 

Jon

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, that looks like a bug.  Normally the FOV indicator aligns with the Horizon if you have the mount type set to Alt/Az.  If it is an equatorial mount, then it orients to the equatorial grid.  I assume you are using an equatorial mount?  

Somehow viewing a calendar chart is setting something internally to think it is Alt/Az (even though the setting still say equatorial).  You can switch It back to normal by change the mount type to Alt/As and then back to Equatorial.

I will make sure the SimCur team sees this post.

Bill

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:22 PM

Hi, I've edited the .skyset files for the Calendar to remove references to the scope settings.  I'm hoping this solves your issue for now unless it's another setting I need to remove. Give it a go. Thanks. Pedro

#7 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

So "Settings -> Grid & Coordinates" has nothing to do with the issue, and apparently "Settings -> Setup -> Scope Type" doesn't either. What counts is the "Settings -> Setup -> Mount Type"--it sets the zero point to align the FOV box relative to that coordinate grid. I do usually have "Mount Type" set at "Equatorial Goto (German)" since I have a Vixen SS2K setup, but since I don't have any way to actually connect SS6 to the scope, I didn't think it did anything. Therefore, to make the FOV box to even appear I had the "Observe -> Scope Display -> Show Even if not Connected to Telescope" set to "on". I have just verified that changing "Mount Type" ("Scope Type" can be ignored) produces the effect I observed.

I do find the ability to switch between the 2 behaviors very useful, and I can use this scheme as a workaround. But I would be nice to have a new setting under "Observe -> Scope Display"'s "FOV Display Options" that would say:

"FOV Relative to ..." with buttons for "Horizon", "Equatorial", "Galactic", and "Ecliptic".

It wouldn't matter what coordinate grid is being displayed or what kind of mount you have, but the zero value would be controlled strictly from here. For AP I've already stated that "Equatorial" is good for DSO's and "Horizon" is good for nightscapes. At Bryce Canyon a couple years back I created a Milky Way panorama from horizon to horizon, but it was a PITA to plan out where to place each frame since I couldn't get the FOV box to stay aligned along the MW as I moved from one horizon to the opposite one, while a setting of "Galactic" would have been perfect.

What's the possibility of adding such a setting in your next update?

Edited by starblue, 06 August 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#8 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

Hi, I've edited the .skyset files for the Calendar to remove references to the scope settings.  I'm hoping this solves your issue for now unless it's another setting I need to remove. Give it a go. Thanks. Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Sorry about the delay in responding. I tried it this morning. I don't see any change in behavior. I was in Equatorial mode, both for the sky map and for "Mount Type". Looking at a Calendar entry then clicking on "View" to see the view-map still screws up the zero point and sets it relative to the horizon, and I had to restart the application to regain control for equatorial. Wouldn't fixing this require an update through the App Store?

I still propose the idea of adding a new FOV Display Option:

Zero-point relative to...                                        (Horizon, Equatorial, Galactic, Ecliptic)

The default when you start the program could be set to whatever the Mount Type is (like it is now), but thereafter this UI widget alone would control it (and it retains its value as the app moves between foreground and background, only resetting to the default on the next fresh invocation of the program).

Aside: Speaking of the Calendar, when the new format that replaced S&T's version first showed up, it would automagically move to the entry for the current date. Now it just sets it to the 1st of the month and I have to scroll to find today's entry. I don't have a strong preference but was curious why it changed--or is that a bug too?

#9 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

Hi Pedro,

Sorry about the delay in responding. I tried it this morning. I don't see any change in behavior. I was in Equatorial mode, both for the sky map and for "Mount Type". Looking at a Calendar entry then clicking on "View" to see the view-map still screws up the zero point and sets it relative to the horizon, and I had to restart the application to regain control for equatorial. Wouldn't fixing this require an update through the App Store?

I still propose the idea of adding a new FOV Display Option:

Zero-point relative to...                                        (Horizon, Equatorial, Galactic, Ecliptic)

The default when you start the program could be set to whatever the Mount Type is (like it is now), but thereafter this UI widget alone would control it (and it retains its value as the app moves between foreground and background, only resetting to the default on the next fresh invocation of the program).

Aside: Speaking of the Calendar, when the new format that replaced S&T's version first showed up, it would automagically move to the entry for the current date. Now it just sets it to the 1st of the month and I have to scroll to find today's entry. I don't have a strong preference but was curious why it changed--or is that a bug too?

Hi,

I was hoping it would work.  I'l' create a ticket for your feature suggestion and we'll review.  On the calendar, it should automatically move to the current date - at least it does for me - just tried on iOS. Pedro

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics